Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Feeding The Birds.

I love to feed the birds at this time of year,do you like to feed the birds?
i bought them a new bird table today,it's all set up and food on it,been watching them for ages,but they still haven't ventured on to it yet,
do you think it takes time for them to suss it out?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 04:51 PM

Re: Feeding The Birds.

Yes it can take time for them to accept it, having safe perches around allows them to feel more comfortable and in time they will come to accept the food and in hard weather come to depend upon it. Many know there own area well and will move from foodsource to the next. Of course you will end up attracting the odd predator, Sparrowhawks, cats etc. Dont forget to provide water as well they need to drink and bathe.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Hi Nom,i have a bird bath,but it's at the back of the garden,it's nowhere near the bird table,will that be ok for them?..or should i put it near the bird table?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Yes it will be ok there, they will find it , keep it clean like your feeders as birds are susceptible to diseases.

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys.../trichomonosis
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 08:34 PM

I dont seem to get many bids to my garden, apart from pigeons and squirrels which pinch the food I put out for the birds,I bought a half coconut ,hung it on a tree , next morning it was down on the ground, I put it back up ,but it was down again next day, the rope for hanging has been chewed and the filling chewed out,also
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 08:45 PM

I don't have a bird table, I hang all me feeders on my Arch of the Privit Hedge, I have feeder full of nuts, another feeder full of fat balls, I have a hanging tray with bread and milworms, I have a huge bucket full of water for them to bath in and I also have a bird bath.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 10:47 PM

I love to feed the birds in the park,always take a bag of seed with me. I had a bird feeder in the garden but never had a bird try it out so the seed became soggy and I had to get rid of it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yes it will be ok there, they will find it , keep it clean like your feeders as birds are susceptible to diseases.

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys.../trichomonosis

That's interesting about the bleach Nom, I wouldn't have dared use that. Can you give me an approximate dilution rate by Mls per pint by any chance please? I've only ever used hot soapy water before.
I've only got a small garden now, but have 3 bird tables and 2 stone baths in it. Is bleach safe to use in the baths do you know, because the smell lingers and would taste I imagine. I don't want them bathing and flicking bleachy after tastes into their eyes.
Thanks.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

20-11-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's interesting about the bleach Nom, I wouldn't have dared use that. Can you give me an approximate dilution rate by Mls per pint by any chance please? I've only ever used hot soapy water before.
I've only got a small garden now, but have 3 bird tables and 2 stone baths in it. Is bleach safe to use in the baths do you know, because the smell lingers and would taste I imagine. I don't want them bathing and flicking bleachy after tastes into their eyes.
Thanks.
Apologies Mups no i cant as ive never provided a water source myself, just knew about the feeders which and like yourself used hot soapy water, i hope someone has some experience and can inform you further.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:15 AM

OK. Never mind, thanks anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top