Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Cold calling

Happened again today and as allways was having an afternoon kip.

Ring Ring...... "DO you want to clear all your debts" crap.

So I googled cold calling and found this site

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 08:14 PM

Re: Cold calling

We have a no cold calling sticker on our front door but they still come calling

We signed up for phone one but still get them..BT said that they couldn't stop them as the companies do automatic calling from a computer and they can't stop them..

They are such a b****y nuisance
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 10:59 PM

Get a whistle and keep it by the phone and when cold callers call - blow the whistle down the line!! It worked for me Or, ask the person to hold on for a minute and then leave the phone off the hook - they will get fed up with that as they have to pay for it!!

If they come to my door, I take Loki with me - holding her by her collar and they usually take one look at me with Loki and make a hasty retreat! Mind you, Loki would lick their hands if I let her They haven't to know that! Or, I just look at them and shut the door on their faces!!

I get so many calls - yet, I am registered with TPS!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 12:19 AM

Good one Rose, re: put the phone down and let them prattle on to themselves, . . . any door knockers I get I flip the letter box up and tell them to f*ck off.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
Or, ask the person to hold on for a minute and then leave the phone off the hook - they will get fed up with that as they have to pay for it!!
LOL that's a good one
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->

I get so many calls - yet, I am registered with TPS!!

That's a bit of a worry, had hoped that registering would stop them.

Do see they have a complaints service to report to if these people persist.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 08:58 AM

You should get the name of cold-callers and report them to the preference service - they are acting illegally
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 09:35 AM

I already have done that on several occasions but never seems to make much difference! I am going to write in to complain!!

I don't know how these companies get our addresses and telephone numbers from - I thought the Data Protection Law would protect everyone!! Obviously not!!

I looked after an elderly friend for years who had alzheimers and those cold callers caused so much damage to her confused mind! On one occasion, I was over giving her dinner one night and the door went and when I opened it a man was standing there. I asked him what he wanted and he said he was here to measure up my friend's bedroom for the new bed that was being delivered!! I asked him what on earth he was talking about and he said that my friend had said yes to the free trial of an orthopaedic bed and then to buy it in 5 days time - over a £1,000!! I told the man to get on his bike and put the bed where the sun don't shine!!

The poor wee soul couldn't even remember her name, let alone order a bed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 09:36 AM

I can well understand people reacting badly to cold calling. They are a bloomin' nuisance. Even so, I always think that at the other end of the phone is a person with a thankless task. They must know it's a job where they will face abruptness and various responses but may have been desperate enough to take such a job anyway. Everyone has to live somehow.

OK, I could be wrong but on the chance of the above being right, I'm never rude to them. Just hear them out a little and then say 'no thanks'.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I agree with you mart, about it being one of the worst jobs ....
I couldn't do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top