Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Double Summer Time?

Well, it seems that the three major parties have agreed that we need to adjust our clocks on a permanent basis, so we'd stay the same as now through the winters and be on 'double summer time' in future summers
Link to article
The only sticking point appears to be the Scots.

Would you welcome it and do you think that, given the Scots have their own parliament, they should influence the decision?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Re: Double Summer Time?

Jesus H christ, . . not this old chestnut again, . . they already tried this 30 years ago and it was a disaster, . . at the time they said it would never be repeated, . . . a survey was done last week and ALL farmers, even English farmers, in the UK said we should keep things as they are.

I hope the MSP's will thwart this stupidity before it gets the go ahead, . . . stuff Europe and stuff the business men and money traders coz that's what this is all about.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Oh yes I remember that..

If it ain't broke don't mend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jj'sgirl ->
Oh yes I remember that..

If it ain't broke don't mend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At that time 30 years ago all the kids had to be dressed in luminescent clothes going to school, . . the building trades up here had to work different hours, . . even as things are just now on the 22'nd of December during the shortest day it doesn't get light 'till after 9am, . . . if this goes ahead it'll be after 10am, . . if Gordon Brown goes ahead with this stupidity he needs his ass kicked, . . he, being Scottish should know better.

This is an example of clowns down south wanting us to fall in-line with Europe, . . . sod Europe.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:17 PM

Watch it I'm from down south..lol
nero
Central Scotland

29-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jj'sgirl ->
Watch it I'm from down south..lol
It's the business traders JJ, . . I mean no disrespect to southerners in general, . . . with one exception, . . . Mr Cameron.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK

29-03-2010, 03:25 PM

ditto.................................
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:26 PM

nero - in winter scotland has fewer daylight hours than the south of england - can't do a darn thing about it.
in midsummer you have glorious long light nights - we southern softies can't do anything about that either, except be mildly jealous

The scottish parliament can surely do just whatever it wants to the mitigate the lack of winter light, from organising transport for schoolchildren, to changing school hours and days and breaks, to letting individual communities make their own decisions to .... whatever. Anything except manufacture more hours of light.

I think it's daft - especially in the month of March, that we are zzzing whilst it's light at 5.30am yet closing the curtains because it's dark at 6pm. Think of the energy saved by not 'closing up the house/putting on the lights and heating' for that hour; think of the opportunities for the leisure industry, for outdoor sport, for children getting the opportunity for a short while oudoor play etc etc

I repeat - Scotland has very short days around the shortest day ... nothing can change that.
nero
Central Scotland

29-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Changing the clocks came about during the war, . . it was at the farmers' suggestion, . . up here we all know how many daylight hours there are in mid winter, . . . however, how would you like to start work at 10am and not finish until 6pm, . . this is what it would mean on building sites, . . all the farmers were asked last week about this and they all said to keep the status-quo.

How on earth can Scotland have a separate time zone, . . in the UK were on the same meridian so this would be just as stupid.

oops, . . edited coz I made a typo, . . I had 10pm instead of 6pm finishing time.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:44 PM

I think I would prefer to stick to just one - pain having to change clocks and I much prefer lighter evenings than mornings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top