Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Role Models

We seem to be short on them - can you think of any ?
I've discovered Mark Bouris an Australian business man - pity we don't get to see him here - could show the way for a lot of our men to live up to
Dave Fishwick is another - fortunately he is over here based in Burnley - great guy
Then there was our Val Doonican - sadly gone now - perfect man ..............
I should have called this thread - perfect men
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Re: Role Models

I have always tried to get the kids to do what I did when I was growing up and find someone closer to home as a role model, Nan and Granddad were mine and I know Jordan looks up to my husband as someone he can see as a person worthy of the title. Nathan sees one of his friends Dads as a role model.

The idea they may look to celebrities no matter how nice fills me with a slight feeling of horror as we have seen over the years so many are not quite what we thought they were.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 02:57 PM

Yes did a thread way back about role models within a close circle
Mine was a teacher and my Nan
But - youngsters do look to celebs unfortunately - and I struggle to find some that are worthy
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Yes I wonder if these days we know too much about them the stars of yesteryear seemed so much better than today IMO and we knew very little about them compared with today's stars.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes I wonder if these days we know too much about them the stars of yesteryear seemed so much better than today IMO and we knew very little about them compared with today's stars.
Yes very true
That's the way it was back then, the big wigs preferred their stars private lives to be just that - private and so the image portrayed was usually a decent one
Now we have to know all
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 04:53 PM

No prizes for guessing my `role model` was my father. Do exactly the opposite.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Can't say I have had a role model. Wish to hell I had then I wouldn't have suffered from personality disorder. Even now I'm not absolutely sure who I'm supposed to be . I think it must have a bearing on why I alter so much when under the influence - complete Jekyll and Hyde change occurs every time.

Anyway if you haven't a particular role model to follow you can always adopt role model 'ways of living and thinking', which is what I have done instead.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 09:23 PM

My grandmother was my idol, she was strong willed, funny, a terrific cook, and she had a heart of gold, never will forget that lovely woman.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-11-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
My grandmother was my idol, she was strong willed, funny, a terrific cook, and she had a heart of gold, never will forget that lovely woman.
Lovely - I feel I know her too - love to hear you speak of her
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 04:53 PM

My role models were a young couple, Pat and Brian, who lived across the road from my parents, before I married. I used to babysit their children and, at the age of 15 they talked to me like an adult. Brian was a policeman and, when a man exposed himself to me, I was scared to tell my mum as she would never have let me go out again, but I did tell Pat. She told her husband and he reported it to the station after getting descriptions and details from myself.
The flasher didn't harm me, just scared me, but he was arrested as he had been doing it to a lot of girls and I have given his car number. My parents never knew of this, but Pat and Brian taught me that every teenager needs an adult to talk to and parents aren't always the best, so now I am happy to talk through problems with young people that I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top