Join for free
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 09:31 PM

CISS inks systems

Do any member use a CISS system on their printer??

Is there a specific brand of refillable ink they prefer.??

How does it stand up to UV light??

Roy
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 10:31 PM

Re: CISS inks systems

I looked at it for my Canon 9000 Mk2 A3 printer, but cost was higher than I thought. Didn't go ahead in the end.
retread
New Member!
Worthing, UK
retread is female 

10-11-2015, 09:58 AM

I have tried ciss systems and I know a few others that have used them, with mixed results.
Unless you print vast amounts of large Photographs leave well alone.
They tend to be leaky and troublesome ,I have ended up with a machine full of sticky ink others I know have had trouble maintaining the vacuum seal required to draw in the ink.
I have tried two systems a very cheap £30 including ink and a expensive Lyson £100+ and there was nothing to choose between them. even the Lyson ink need custom profiling.

website www.ksirrah.wix.com/photography
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 09:21 PM

Now I have only ever used Epson printers purely for their ability to print on CD/DVD`s Plus the fact that the printers I have always had uses six colours which I believe give a better result to photographs.

I soon began to use compatibles once I realised how much genuine inks was costing me and also learnt that when a printer starts up it automatically does a cleaning process before its ready to print, hence I leave my printer on at all times.

Although I have had a few very cheap CISS systems in the past I have never really had any trouble with them, yet my youngest son who has a PX720WD has Vacuum problems as you say Keith which I pointed out he needs to get another.

Also with Epson, when the service warning comes up on screen there is an easy fix, and because I have a waste ink modification which I installed before I started using the printer, the ink pads never gets dirty.

The CISS system I am now using I purchased from CITY Ink/Fotrite which was slightly more expensive than others but well worth the extra.

Their ink provide very good quality photos on Mirror 260grm High Gloss Paper (which I use for greeting Cards) which I am happy with but I am not sure how it will stand up to age on Photographs hung in direct sunlight.

Some say, spraying them with hairspray will lengthen life of the photograph, but I have yet to try it.

Keith, I am impressed with your photography skills, Photos untitled 10 & 12 in the woods are brilliant, I assume the subject is known to you.

Roy
retread
New Member!
Worthing, UK
retread is female 

11-11-2015, 06:22 PM

To be honest I have spent quite a lot of money trying to save money , I am now going to stick to original inks.
I had a epson r1400 from new I Have had constant problems with head clogging . If remember to turn it on every week its ok but leave 2-3 weeks and it clogs , It made no difference what brand of ink I use although Badger ink worked well until I brought the second batch . I used to work with custom profiles to get accurate colour and reasonable mono, but I've had enough and brought a canon pro 100 , Its still a dye ink printer but uses 8 inks inc 2 greys and black this set up give great monochrome.
Thanks for looking at my website , I didn't know the models but I photographed them during a Gavin Hoey workshop if you don't know Gavin ,type his name into YouTube ,he is a entertaining photoshop Evangelist
toyboyroy
South Wales

11-11-2015, 10:49 PM

I suppose its each to their own and what they prefer when it comes to printers, as with the majority of printers heads are built in to the ink cartridges which does eliminate a lot of problems. I have yet to have a blocked head, maybe I have been lucky or perhaps its down to frequent use.

I like photography but I am certainly not in your league, I don`t have a camera in my pocket just in case something unusual crops up through the day.

Have you heard of Alliechie 9 He is another dedicated photographer who frequents the Squatters, he has a web site which may interest you.

http://alanbphotography.weebly.com/

I will have a look at Gavin before the night is through.

Roy

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top