Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 11:01 AM

The word Gay

Does anyone else detest the way the word - gay - cannot now be used in every day conversation. It has been hi-jacked by the Homosexual and Lesbian community. I have nothing whatever against people who are Homosexual or Lesbian, that is how they were at birth, and is not their fault.

As far as I am concerned they maybe gay or sad. But the word always used to be meant as happy.

I walked down into the town for my newspaper this morning in high winds and heavy rain. A man said good morning to me and my flippant reply was, yes what a gay day. He said thank God someone else uses the word correctly.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 11:08 AM

Re: The word Gay

Language changes all the time .
There are many words that no longer describe their original meaning .

IE awful used to mean commanding awe. Now it means something bad

bully used to mean great or wonderful .

Bully for you !
Now it means a bad dominating person .

Gay was once a popular girls name .
A gay batchelor was one who had a good time being single

Things change
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 11:31 AM

It's not the word that has changed G. A. Y. is merely a mnemonic meaning Good As You ....the word gay still means carefree.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 11:50 AM

As has been said, language evolves all the time and new words come into play as well as old words changing their meaning.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 12:33 PM

We had a girl called Gay in our road when I was growing up. Rainbows seem to signify the same.
Doesn't really bother me though.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 01:53 PM

I don't like words changing their meaning - gets all too confusing
Mad world
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 02:02 PM

Wicked is another word that can confuse. This was brought home to me whilst abroad and a young local boy asked me what wicked meant. He had been showing a tourist his new watch and the tourists told him "it was wicked". The poor boy thought he had something really evil. It was somewhat of an ordeal trying to explain to the poor boy that these days wicked is used in the same way as "cool", "excellent" etc. We certainly seem to know how to confuse foreigners who have taken the trouble to learn English.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 03:44 PM

Yes, now would not be a good time to learn Gaelic.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 03:54 PM

As I said earlier the word has not changed, we now quote the mnemonic G.A.Y. Just as we do for U.N.E.S.C.O. or U.K.I.P etc.
Gay still means gay or carefree !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Wicked is another word that can confuse. This was brought home to me whilst abroad and a young local boy asked me what wicked meant. He had been showing a tourist his new watch and the tourists told him "it was wicked". The poor boy thought he had something really evil. It was somewhat of an ordeal trying to explain to the poor boy that these days wicked is used in the same way as "cool", "excellent" etc. We certainly seem to know how to confuse foreigners who have taken the trouble to learn English.

I know what you mean, and you're right, but I don't like the way identical words can have totally different meanings, it's stupid. You may as well point to a nice car and say that bus is nice isn't it.

Look at the word 'WELL' for instance. There's 'well' as in feeling fine, 'well' as in a hole full of water, and 'well' as in 'well what do we do now?' Stooopid.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top