Join for free
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 10:58 PM

British Forces voting

it appears that our forces serving in Iraq and Afganistan, will not be allowed to vote in the forthcoming Election..WHY.
this present government set up polling stations for Iraq,s living in this country to vote in the recent Iraq elections, paid for by the British taxpayer, yet will not allow our British servicemen to vote..
what are they afraid of ???????????
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Re: British Forces voting

They're probably afraid that they won't be able to rig the service vote adequately. There have been several serious postal vote rigging scandals - all involving the Labour Party over recent years. This is just one of them:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4406575.stm

Mick
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 12:43 PM

i have spoken to several service/ ex sevice personel recently and every one of them have said they and there mates would vote BNP..would be a little worrying for Liebour if there was a massive vote for a far right party
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 01:37 PM

It's delusion to think they'd vote BNP - I would imagine most of the people in the armed forces want less wars not more.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Here's a link I found.

Electoral law stipulates that postal votes cannot be issued until the close of nominations 11 days before election date. They must be returned to constituencies by the close of polling to be valid.

The timing of this year’s election, widely expected to be on May 6, coincides with the change over of the British brigade in Helmand, a massive logistics exercise which threatens to delay postal services to troops.

A government source said: “There have historically been problems with postal votes for those in the armed forces deployed overseas.

“After the current election we intend to have a thorough look at what can be done to ensure all service personnel get their chance to vote.

“One option we are looking at is e-voting. It would require a change in legislation. It could be rolled out to other groups, but the armed forces would be a priority.”

The Electoral Commission has urged soldiers serving overseas to use proxy votes amid fears that postal votes will not be processed in time. However, it is understood that most service personnel are reluctant to use such votes.

The number of servicemen and women registered to vote fell from 139,000 in 2001 to 21,000 in 2005. Critics believe this was largely due to a law introduced in 2001 which requires armed forces personnel to re-register each year.

Andrew Murrison, a shadow defence minister, said: “The blame for the collapse in the number of service personnel registered to vote can be put at the government’s door.

“It is bizarre and wrong that soldiers who have put their lives on the line for Afghan democracy are left without a vote in their own homeland.

All very confusing eh, . . most of the lads have internet access, why can't they vote this way ?
tomcat
Bristol uk

26-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
It's delusion to think they'd vote BNP - I would imagine most of the people in the armed forces want less wars not more.
The British National Party is the only party that would stop fighting these illegal wars and bring our troops home..and to protect our borders not used as a universal police force..
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
The British National Party is the only party that would stop fighting these illegal wars and bring our troops home..and to protect our borders not used as a universal police force..
A racist BNP govt would create a lot more wars, including civil war.

In case you haven't noticed Tom, most if not all here are vehemently against the BNP. Just because many of us think immigration has got out of control it doesn't mean we support them, because they're nothing but trouble.
tomcat
Bristol uk

26-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
A racist BNP govt would create a lot more wars, including civil war.

In case you haven't noticed Tom, most if not all here are vehemently against the BNP. Just because many of us think immigration has got out of control it doesn't mean we support them, because they're nothing but trouble.
you do not want to believe everything you read about them in the Red Top gutter press
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 08:30 AM

I can understand people turning to bnp, its only my ingrained upbringing that stops me. It isn't so much voting for the party but against the big 3. I'd decided on UKIP until I heard they'd walked out of the vote in Brussels. Now I'm left as a voter with a vote to put somewhere but nowhere that is decent to put it.
I can understand the lads and lasses in the forces turning to BNP, the labour party loves all the Afghans and immigrants so again they'd be voting against them.
tomcat
Bristol uk

30-03-2010, 01:44 PM

makes me think the change over of troops and the calling of the electton is being delibratly planned to co.incide

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top