Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Who pays ?

2000 policemen and women attend a funeral service for their dead colleague, sent to Liverpool by every police force in the country.
All on full pay and expenses no doubt.
All very sad and a symptom of our increasingly lawless society but who pays for all this ? Whilst cuts are being made to Police budgets where does this money come from ?
I am deeply sorry for the man's family and friends and colleagues but was such a show really warranted when people are dying every day as a result of criminal activity.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:14 PM

Re: Who pays ?

Its a fair comment you make - a show of respect from other forces could have been done another way ...............
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:38 PM

Am I missing something or does this happen every time an officer is killed?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:42 PM

Yes Malcolm your right especially after i heard on the radio that bobbies on the beat are going to be a thing of the past to save money!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:43 PM

Hi

Paid for by the Police Federation, not Public Money.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Paid for by the Police Federation, not Public Money.
What exactly did they pay for SF and how did they do it ?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 07:46 PM

I think it's good to show solidarity, and respect for the dead officer.

I also believe that although there are many murder victims who also deserve to be in our thoughts, this officer was on the sharp end of law enforcement - he died doing his job which includes protecting the public from the lowlife and his mates who actually killed him - I wouldn't begrudge the money spent on his funeral.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I think it's good to show solidarity, and respect for the dead officer.

I also believe that although there are many murder victims who also deserve to be in our thoughts, this officer was on the sharp end of law enforcement - he died doing his job which includes protecting the public from the lowlife and his mates who actually killed him - I wouldn't begrudge the money spent on his funeral.
Saw the funeral on the news - still don't understand 2000 officers, but I have no problem with it ................
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
What exactly did they pay for SF and how did they do it ?
Hi

The Police Federation is the Police Trade Union for officers up to the rank of Chief Inspector.

Every branch will have had one or more officers go, in their own time with travel expenses, if claimed, met out of Branch Funds.

Senior Police Officers, Superintendent and above have their own union, ACPO, Association of Chief Police Officers.

Same applies there, go in your own time, branch pays travel if claimed.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 07:56 PM

I watched the funeral on the news, and was moved at the lovely words spoken by one of his sisters.

There is a wife and two little children left not to mention his wider family, I personally don't begrudge a penny spent on the funeral whoever paid for it, that man was trying to protect the public.

What a wonderful show of support.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top