Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 06:02 PM

10% duty increase on cider

twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Re: 10% duty increase on cider

I just got an invitation on Facebook to join the " Campaign to get The Wurzels to No1 in protest of Cider getting a 10% tax!"

They want to get I am a Cider Drinker to No1 in the Charts by getting over 250,000+ people to buy the song in between MONDAY 29TH MARCH (09:00AM) and SATURDAY 3RD APRIL (23:59PM) to have a good chance of making it to No1 on Sunday 4th April.

The Wurzels will be donating the royalties to Sports relief so I might give it a go, because i do think it was a nasty side swipe at a British product. Don't suppose it will make any difference, though.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 02:51 PM

School kids up here get drunk on that stuff for a pound a bottle so I'm all in favour of the duty getting hiked up, . . I suppose it's only pennies more in duty though.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 03:06 PM

The kids drink White Lightening here too. But if you put up the cost of cider, they'll just start drinking something else, whichever is cheaper. You don't solve the problems of alcohol abuse by raising the price of an individaul alcohol product, you have to find out why they are doing it, where they are buying it from and enforce under age drinking laws.

Our West Country Cider producers, both growers and distillers are one of the few industries that have shown growth in the recession, what impact also will it have on the local economy and employment?

In the corner shops here, you can buy a bottle of wine for £2.99, so the kids and winos may stop buying Cider @ 7.5% proof and buy the wine @ 12.5% proof, for less than they were paying for the cider in the first place.

You don't see the French putting punitive tax on their wine and local cider is a quality product with the majority of consumers being responsible adults.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Galty / Twizzle / Nero

You guys ain't seen anything yet, whoever gets in at the next election is going to have to tax everything and anything

I predict that a new tax on DVD's and Cd's will come in, a new tax on using your mobile phone and a new tax on getting up in the morning (Calculated by a device which will be installed in the floor by your bed which sends a signal direct to the Inland Revenue to say you're up and a £5 bill is in the post)

It's not going to be nice and while one party will delay a bit (thus having to borrow more and untimately pay back more), the other lot will save some money by implementing a bit sooner and thus not raise taxes so much.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Fly me to the moon Harvey, . . . on the other hand the IR boy's will be there too no doubt.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
on the other hand the IR boy's will be there too no doubt.
They get everywhere Dennis there's no hiding from them - remember it was the IR boys who got Al Capone, no one else could
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
School kids up here get drunk on that stuff for a pound a bottle so I'm all in favour of the duty getting hiked up, . . I suppose it's only pennies more in duty though.
I am with you all the way there, Denis. Same here on the west coast!!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Just notice that they have left the OAP tax allowance the same, so with inflation at 3.5% this means a cut for the retired if their pensions are index linked

I did arrange my affairs so that I do not pay any tax when I retired so it does not affect me.

Bit like you none ciders drinkers

Edit spelling
nero
Central Scotland

28-03-2010, 01:41 PM

It seems the small producers of cider are not bothered at all about the increase in duty, . . their spokesman said today it's the big producers who are doing the moaning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top