Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

Civil war??? Gov -v- Workers???

We've been here before in 1971. Is history about to repeat itself???

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2015/11/02...de-union-bill/
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Re: Civil war??? Gov -v- Workers???

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
In short Joe, No.

Too many ordinary people are far too scared of jeopardising their jobs while the influx of immigrant labour still pours into this country.

There's also an entrenched distrust of Unions these days from what I see.

"Self-serving" or "a joke" were just two phrases I've heard this year in reference to Unions.

I'm supposedly represented by a Staff Association but reading their Meeting Minutes is identical to reading the companies Minutes.

Near where I live there's a large Germany warehousing company operating at least five huge warehouses.

I worked there up to 2010 until I lost my job and two weeks ago I was behind a German in Lidl who was getting confused about our currency so I helped him.

Nice enough bloke and it turned out he had come from one of the German warehouse companies' places in Germany to where I was made redundant!

Since when has the UK had a shortage of warehouse personnel?!

Around here it's ALL warehouses now, including huge Amazon places and a massive John Lewis recently opened and besides, warehouse work is very simple and doesn't require anything more than basic education and skills.

How many have any Union representation?

None! stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:23 AM

This is what I meant Steve matey, - I was there!!! - and don't believe the figures quoted in the article - there were more than 250, 000 taking part in that march.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2514033.stm
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:44 AM

I don't think that the unions earned many admirers in the 70's with their wildcat strikes 'cos the tea machine wasn't working. What it needs now is a cultural seachange...............the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is getting out of hand.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:45 AM

If it does perhaps you had better pray that it doesn't turn out the same way. If you look at the industries involved have been either broken up, privatised or no longer exist. The Post Office...privatised, Engineering... emaciated to the point of non existence. Coal Mining... long dead.

Throughout the early seventies many people who wanted just wanted to feed their families were unable to work fully because of senseless action totally unrelated to their own industries And for what? No good ever comes from striking except a little short term gain at the expense of others.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:55 AM

I can see a lot of public sector workers striking but not private sector workers and I can see a lot of private sector workers moving into the public sector when the strikers are sacked.

It's not gov v workers at all they have manipulated it to become public sector v private sector.

I believe in my life time we will see rich continue to get richer and the poor will eventually rely entirely on charity, but if the tories are in control they will attack the charities (as they are the food banks now).

Not a pretty picture for our grandchildren.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-11-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can see a lot of public sector workers striking but not private sector workers and I can see a lot of private sector workers moving into the public sector when the strikers are sacked.

It's not gov v workers at all they have manipulated it to become public sector v private sector.

I believe in my life time we will see rich continue to get richer and the poor will eventually rely entirely on charity, but if the tories are in control they will attack the charities (as they are the food banks now).

Not a pretty picture for our grandchildren.

Julie darlin' - history teaches us that you can push people so far, then they fight back. If that means civil war - then sobeit!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 11:08 AM

No the one thing history teaches us is rich nearly always win, possibly only time they haven't in in France. Personally I see people so scared of losing zero hours jobs they won't rock the boat for anything. People unable to join protests if they are in London because they can't afford to travel on the trains to get there
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Was that the Jarrow March, Joe Boy? Like what them that really had bugger all, co's you don't look like one of the worlds hard up and cold starving.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

02-11-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Was that the Jarrow March, Joe Boy? Like what them that really had bugger all, co's you don't look like one of the worlds hard up and cold starving.

Since you know nothing about me, you can have no opinion on what my financial situation might be.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top