Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Indian Hill Railways

Did anyone catch this charming 3-part series when it was on BBC4 very recently?
It's on BBC2 starting this Friday at 9pm
I can't praise it highly enough - you don't need to be a fan of railways to enjoy it; you probably need to have a fondness for India
Here's a link
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Re: Indian Hill Railways

Must remember to watch that DM, . . I love railways.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 03:30 PM

You will love it then nero - little narrow gauge railways, the engines a hangover from british rule, being nurtured and coddled and held together with bits of string and they chug up steep steep ascents into the Himalayas - they are at Shimla waiting for the snow to arrive in the last programme.
And the porters - carrying so much weight, using a strap round their forehad, with the load balanced on their inclined back - their necks must be soooo strong.
Really really good TV
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 03:49 PM

There's a steam railway near me that the SRPS restored many years ago, . . they have some really old locos and rolling stock, . . there's two carriages I love, the old slam-door type with individual compartments, and no connecting corridor.

dinahsmum
SW England

26-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Just bumping this up
9pm tonight!
nero
Central Scotland

26-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Just bumping this up
9pm tonight!
Yeah, . . just finished watching it DM, . . what a fantastic program, the porter Sita is a hardy woman isn't she, that load she was carrying would've killed me.
I was so proud to hear the steam locos were made only 25 miles from where I live, in Glasgow, . . I saw they've finished restoring loco 288, . . the line was built in 1889, . . it's 52 miles long and climbs 7,000 feet, . . fantastic stuff.
dinahsmum
SW England

27-03-2010, 02:00 PM

I'm really glad you enjoyed it nero
2 more programmes to go

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top