Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 07:27 PM

The Tastes of your Youth

I was sitting by the river with the dogs in the sunshine today, idly wishing I`d brought a picnic, when I remembered the days I spent with my friends as a child, exploring our local area (and beyond).
I`d take fish-paste and cucumber sandwiches (we were a little bit posh), and a bottle of Tizer, and a Lyons Fruit Pie if I was lucky. Bliss! I can still remember the taste of warm sandwiches.
When my own kids were young, our picnics included home-made fruit scones and tuna salads, so I suppose they might get nostalgic about that one day.
What was your childhood treat?
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Re: The Tastes of your Youth

Banana sandwiches, Mum's home made sausage rolls and lemon curd tarts and made up lemonade made with (I think) Kearley and Tonge lemon powder bought from International in large tins.
Usually the picnics with my mates was on Broomhill Park, Whitton Lairs or by the River Gipping at Bramford; all later to become favourite haunts in my courting days.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 09:30 PM

We used to pig out on "jeelie pieces" (bramble or blackcurrant jelly sandwiches) . . washed down with my favourite tipple, . . . Barr's Irn Bru, . . that famous drink originated in my home town, . . the factory where it was bottled drew water from an ancient well rich in iron, . . hence the name.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 10:07 PM

...candyfloss! I loved the stuff
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Jelly sandwiches on picnics; orange popsicles, ice cream bars from the Good Humor wagon. And a homemade thing my mom used to make: take the piecrust trimmings, roll them out, spread with butter, sugar, cinnamon
and raisins and then bake beside the pie!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Goodness me - Lyons Fruit Pies ... now there's a long hidden memory!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Individual trifles, . . . . another delicacy.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Individual trifles, . . . . another delicacy.
Tesco`s still do them, Nero - my son loves them!
nero
Central Scotland

22-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Tesco`s still do them, Nero - my son loves them!
They taste great, CD, . . I know it's "plastic" cream on top but who gives a toss.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Lardy cake - mmmmm ....my mouth waters at the thought of it!

We always looked for the piece that was crispiest, juiciest with fat and currants ....... totally unhealthy but who cares when you are kids!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top