Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:10 PM

Big Ben Silenced

Poor old Big Ben needs urgent repairs and will be silent for up to 4 months. The costs could be 40 million pounds now how on earth did they reach this figure? Surely the building that houses Big Ben isn't worth this amount.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:15 PM

Re: Big Ben Silenced

Say it quick .... and 40 million sounds a drop in the ocean compared to an estimated 7 billion to fix the Houses of Parliament.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:18 PM

I saw that on the news too, Doc. It is a much loved clock by a lot of people, but that still seems a staggering amount.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 08:19 AM

Knock them all down and replace with homes for the homeless, british born only.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 08:47 AM

The sound of Big Ben fills me with dread to the extent I have to turn the radio off when it is due to be broadcast - so I will not miss it at all!

40 Million pounds could be better spent elsewhere - BB is only a clock when all is said and done.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 08:54 AM

How on earth can it cost 40 million pounds to repair a clock? A lot of "backhanders" must be going on there.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Say it quick .... and 40 million sounds a drop in the ocean compared to an estimated 7 billion to fix the Houses of Parliament.

Deleted - error.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 01:01 PM

There must be a lot of danger money in there and scaffolding doesent come cheap.

Just read the report, cracks in the masonry oh and to bring the building in line with health and safety. They want to have a visitor centre at the bottom of the tower and install a lift.

I think they just need to concentrate on fixing the clock and the masonry first before even thinking about the other things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby;723412[B
]The sound of Big Ben fills me with dread to the extent I have to turn the radio off when it is due to be broadcast[/B] - so I will not miss it at all!

40 Million pounds could be better spent elsewhere - BB is only a clock when all is said and done.

I'm the opposite on this one Tabby. I can take it or leave it throughout the year, but it's not New Years Eve to me without that midnight chime. I l-o-v-e it to hear it then, it can make me quite emotional.

When I was younger I always had to give & have a kiss and hug at midnight, (I don't mean snog their face off ), just a little peck, I kind of felt it was a lovely way to start the new year and the year would then carry on that way.

Naïve little wretch that I was.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 04:52 PM

I love the sound of Big Ben my dear old mum was a Londoner and it brings back so many memories. What was the name of that Detective i think he had one arm he use to stand in front of Big Ben and chat when the programme started was it Fabian of the yard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top