Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 08:10 AM

Mother

It's unclear to me whether this board is intended for us to lament the passing of celebrities or our own friends, family, loved ones.

Maybe this should be in the grumpy corner ? If so, then please will one of the mods move it ... thanks.

I shall carry on and say a few words anyway.

It is one year and eight months today since my Mother died. A lot has happened to me in this time and I often wonder how she'd view me now.

We certainly had our differences. She was a strong woman until her memory began to falter and it was then that she became 'softer' and far more likeable. She stopped picking fault with me and for a time, we got on pretty well. With her increased memory loss, life became more difficult for us both and after the death of my husband, my responsibilities changed and my own life took a different path. Not one that I relished. I have never seen myself in the role of a nurse but it was thrust upon me.

A gruelling few years followed. At times I felt exhausted, battling with Mum's problems as well as my own and 'fighting' the authorities trying to get help for her became an almost daily task.

At ninety one, she was a shadow of her former self. No longer the 'force to be dealt with' ... I say this not in an unkind way ... but she certainly had her moments !
Widowed for almost 20 years and with most of her old friends gone, her life deteriorated. She had been a gregarious woman. A social animal, who enjoyed company at all times. She was never depressed; I never saw her cry. It was just not part of her make-up.

So, I think of her today and look back on all that has happened in my life. I should like to know what she makes of me now and the path my life has taken. It has been a strange journey and one I could never have envisaged.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Re: Mother

My parents died way back in the 1980's. Do I miss them? sure I do and Christmas time is the worst.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 08:56 AM

Lovely reflective post Rachel - I would say she would be proud now as 'she' reflects too
Xx
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Rachel - I would say she would be proud now as 'she' reflects too
Xx

Thanks Patsy

Hmm ... she would have quite a lot to say that's for sure !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Thanks Patsy

Hmm ... she would have quite a lot to say that's for sure !

I know 'exactly' where you are coming from ................
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 09:07 AM

It's unclear to me whether this board is intended for us to lament the passing of celebrities or our own friends, family, loved ones.
Rachel this section is here for whatever Members wish to post on any of those subjects .

Your Mother sounded quite a character

So, I think of her today and look back on all that has happened in my life. I should like to know what she makes of me now and the path my life has taken. It has been a strange journey and one I could never have envisaged.
I think exactly the same when I think of my Father (I never knew my Mother).

What greater gift can you leave behind than that you had a positive influence on your children and they remember you with love and gratitude .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Rachel

What greater gift can you leave behind than that you had a positive influence on your children and they remember you with love and gratitude .
Thanks Meg .... 'love and gratitude' ? hmmmmm not so sure about that.

I miss the positive side of her but there's a lot I could have done without.
No I don't apportion blame. We, none of us, can help the way we are, but if we can understand and accept our flaws we can 'grow'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 09:34 AM

Thanks Meg .... 'love and gratitude' ? hmmmmm not so sure about that.
Your posts say otherwise to me Rachel
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Your posts say otherwise to me Rachel
Oooo that's very interesting Meg ... I shall ponder further.

I wonder if you might be able to add an é' to my 'ther's' (previous post) ? which, of course, should read 'there's'

Too late for me to edit now lol
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 10:23 AM

She might have a bit of advice to pass on, but, we all have to do what is right for us. I'm sure she'd be proud of the way you've coped without her and of the person you are.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top