Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2010, 06:39 PM

It`s not April 1st yet, is it?

This current news item http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...na6F2nn3CTZL3g details how a 5 year old drove his dad`s car (a 4x4) for miles.
Now, I don`t believe a word of it because...
if he could reach the pedals, he couldn`t reach the wheel.
If he was sitting in the drivers seat he couldn`t see where he was going.
and exactly how did he get it out of the drive onto a major road?
any ideas?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Re: It`s not April 1st yet, is it?

It is plausible CD, . . it's an automatic so no need to reach the pedals.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Claire - I don't know whether to believe it or not but I note the car was an 'automatic gearbox' model.

If the engine 'tickover' is set a bit too high it is possible that once the engine is started, and assuming no pressure on the brake pedal (Which as you say a five year old could not do) then the car will move forward if the 'gear lever' is moved from Neutral to Drive which a five year old just playing might be able to do.

Once moving it would go at about 10mph unless the brakes were applied and the lad would have had to steer the car around objects etc.

A sobering story and once again emphasizes the need to NOT leave keys in the ignition !!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2010, 01:10 AM

Agree - sounds like an insurance job

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top