Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 04:31 PM

Fridge Freezer

Does anyone have any idea what can cause a frost free fridge freezer to start smelling like a sewer? It's been emptied and washed out so many times over the past week it must be the cleanest fridge in Spain.

There is no out of date food, absolutely nothing in the freezer part or fridge that smells. We've pulled it out 3 times, checked underneath it, Mr Clumsy has unscrewed everything that unscrews, nothing. The drip tray is clean, everything is clean. I've had fridge deodorises in it, I've had trays of bi carb in it, I've tried every suggestion there is. Still it smells horrible.

I can't stand it any more so today I have been out and bought a new one. The idea is now to put the old one in the underbuild and leave all the doors open for a week or two and then try it again. If it still smell after all this then it's destined for the tip. I must add the fridge and the freezer work perfectly well, but it really smells.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 04:40 PM

Re: Fridge Freezer

sorry, I'm no help at all !!!!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 04:42 PM

I do know that when electrical circuits burn they can smell like rotten fish..
We had a dishwasher that started to smell like that once and it was the print plate overheating...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Thank you Cass, you too myrtle even though you have no suggestions

Your suggestion is interesting Cass, but if something has burnt out would the fridge continue to work as usual? It doesn't appear to have any problem other than this vile smell.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 05:24 PM

I'm no expert ...
But do frost free have one of those drain channels in them? If they get gloopy or clogged it can stink a fridge out.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

13-10-2015, 05:30 PM

I don't know Morticia but thank you for the suggestion. The new appliance is coming on Friday morning so Mr Clumsy will be able to play with the old one as long as he wishes. I have to use the smelly one until then because it's too hot to leave anything out.

I am passing on all your suggestion to Mr Clumsy, he says thank you.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 07:47 PM

If the fridge has a drain channel in it, there should be a rubber pipe connected to it at the back to take the excess water away, this could be bunged up with gunge, try taking it off and cleaning it out.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

13-10-2015, 08:08 PM

Thank you Jimmy. Mr Clumsy will have a go at that.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Where does the stuff that goes down the drain hole go? Always wondered about that.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Where does the stuff that goes down the drain hole go? Always wondered about that.
If you look in the back you will see a tray like thingy on a black ball thingy and that's were the water is supposed to go and I presume it just evaporates with the warmth of the motor. Now and again over the years I have unblocked the drain and yes it does get rather gungy and slightly smelly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top