Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

07-10-2015, 09:53 PM

Runners over 50

Hi everyone,
I think there are some other runners on here. I started running at 47 when I said I'd do a leg in a relay team at the Robin Hood Marathon for a charity where I volunteered. I've been running for 4 years now and feel as if I'm getting younger as well as fitter.

I go to my local parkrun (5k run in a park every Saturday) and there seem to be quite a lot of people getting into running in their 50s and 60s.

I'm writing a blog about women runners over 50 in the UK (purely for interest not to make money) and plan to interview women runners about their experiences.

What sport do you do to keep fit and how long have you been doing it?

Katie
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Re: Runners over 50

Hi Katie. Welcome to the forum. I like to go on countryside rambles - usually there are a few hills to climb. Also I swim twice a week and go to the gym when it's too wet to go walking.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 06:53 AM

I use to run a lot when i was younger and suppose i still can, but i put on weight and need to lose it to get fit again, the most i run is for the bus or across the road these days...
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 08:10 AM

Hi katie , I've known a few runners and a number of them have suffered later in life with joint problems . Some have had to have new hip replacements and others new knees . It's something that I have often wondered about when I see people running along pavements especially .

Could it be that runners are possibly creating problems for later life . What are your thoughts on this and have any runners on here had problems due to running .
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

08-10-2015, 10:15 PM

Apologies if I've not done this correctly - I've not posted in a forum for a long time.

Originally Posted by carol ->
Hi Katie. Welcome to the forum. I like to go on countryside rambles - usually there are a few hills to climb. Also I swim twice a week and go to the gym when it's too wet to go walking.
Hi Carol, that sounds like a great routine for keeping fit. I swim sometimes too.

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I use to run a lot when i was younger and suppose i still can, but i put on weight and need to lose it to get fit again, the most i run is for the bus or across the road these days...
Hi Sue, I didn't run at all until I started 4 years ago. I think walking is just as good for your fitness as running.

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi katie , I've known a few runners and a number of them have suffered later in life with joint problems . Some have had to have new hip replacements and others new knees . It's something that I have often wondered about when I see people running along pavements especially .

Could it be that runners are possibly creating problems for later life . What are your thoughts on this and have any runners on here had problems due to running .
Hi Susan,
I'm not a medical expert but my understanding is that running does not inevitably lead to joint problems or arthritis. Exercise is generally beneficial to joints and bones. However if someone has an injury or other weakness it may be made worse by continuing to run. There are things that runners can do to avoid injuries such as getting the right shoes, seeing a physio regularly, building their strength (through things like yoga, pilates, gym, swimming) and trying to avoid running on pavements all the time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by RunYoung50 ->
Hi everyone,
I think there are some other runners on here. I started running at 47 when I said I'd do a leg in a relay team at the Robin Hood Marathon for a charity where I volunteered. I've been running for 4 years now and feel as if I'm getting younger as well as fitter.

I go to my local parkrun (5k run in a park every Saturday) and there seem to be quite a lot of people getting into running in their 50s and 60s.

I'm writing a blog about women runners over 50 in the UK (purely for interest not to make money) and plan to interview women runners about their experiences.

What sport do you do to keep fit and how long have you been doing it?

Katie
Hello Katie, nice to hear from a fellow (or fellowess) runner. I've been running since I was twenty seven and still going at sixty five - although a lot slower now but still enjoying every minute. The Robin Hood Marathon was my first ever marathon back in 1986 and my last ever marathon (although 'never say never') in 1996 after completing it every year between. Running has probably saved my life in more ways than one and while ever I can stand and breath, I will run........Very nice to meet you and look forward to hearing more about your running.
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 08:58 PM

I use to run but have 2 dodgy knees now, so now I walk last weekend I did the Marathon shine night walk.
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

11-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Hi OldGreyFox
Nice to meet you too. What do you think has contributed to you being able to keep running?

They changed the Robin Hood course again this year and it's much nicer than it used to be if you fancy having another go. My longest distance to date is half marathon.

Hi Deborah,
Walking is great exercise too! You must be very determined to walk that distance in the night. Did you enjoy it?
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Hi RunYoung50, I did enjoy it, I did it with eldest daughter and granddaughter. Hoping to do it again next year with younger daughter as she was unable to do itt his year
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 08:57 PM

My good friend might be worth you contacting and I know she wouldn´t mind. Cath doesn´t run any more she does the speed walking but her husband still runs. They are actually over here at the present time but I know she wouldn´t mind at all if you wished to contact her. Cath will be 62 this month, Pete a couple of years older, both are very involved in athletics. Look her up on the internet and contact her if you wish.

http://racewalkuk.com/AthleteDetails.asp?id=92

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athlete...thleteid=23630

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top