Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:34 AM

The Not So Humble Spud

Winter is fast approaching and the humble spud is ready to come alive, from mash, roasties to potatoe cakes.

As it is so versatile, what is your favourite potatoe recipe

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:44 AM

Re: The Not So Humble Spud

Potatoes - my favourite food
Any way they come - I'll eat 'em
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:45 AM

For me getting the right variety of potato is all important to the results. For creamed potatoes it has to be King Edwards
cooked till soft/dried off/ mashed then beaten with butter, warm milk,black pepper and lots of freshly picked chopped chives.

King Edwards also work well for sauted potatoes with garlic and rosemary.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:00 AM

The dish you are making definitely depends on the type of spud you use as some will go down to watery mush.

One of my warming winter dishes that I enjoy is Corn beef Hash. Inexpensive as you can make it to size to suit you and very tasty.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:27 AM

Can't beat a roast potato or a rosti with a fried egg on top yum
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Potatoes - my favourite food
Any way they come - I'll eat 'em
Me too Patsy. It's the food I'd miss most if it disappeared off the face of the earth.
solo
UK

07-10-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Me too Patsy. It's the food I'd miss most if it disappeared off the face of the earth.

So true Patsy and Alan. Potatoes make real comfort food. On a winters day Sausage and mash is the most cuddly dish I know.(apart from stew and dumplings)

shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Potatoes are such a good staple for most meals.

Love roasties, dauphinoise or I love my potato and onion dish, my hubby usually asks when I am going to make it which is always a good sign.
solo
UK

07-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Potatoes are such a good staple for most meals.

Love roasties, dauphinoise or I love my potato and onion dish, my hubby usually asks when I am going to make it which is always a good sign.
Which potato and onion dish is that Shirley ! Share please.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:58 AM

It is just something that I throw together, I slice the potatoes and onions and then layer them in a dish, one row potato one row onion finishing with a row of potato, put spices of your choice inbetween the layers, I use pepper and Italian seasoning (or sometimes other seasoning if I pick up the wrong jar) and pour over 1/4 pint of stock, put in the over until cooked and the stock has nearly gone.

It is a simple dish to have with sausages.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top