Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 02:18 PM

gas fires

I've been thinking about having a new gas fire in my lounge . The first man came last week and to have the same fire again will cost me £625 , the other I liked was £1025 .

I've now had a second guy come from another gas company and am still amazed at the cost from him , one he showed me was £1100 and I'd have to have a stone hearth fitted underneath which is more cost .

My little ole gas fire has been in my house for about 15 yrs , looking a bit scruffy and old fashioned , it's been serviced regularly , looks like it will have to stay for the duration .

I must be so out of touch with rising costs of appliances nowadays .
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 07:14 PM

Re: gas fires

Yes I know what you mean Susan, have you thought about an electric one ?You can get one that looks like coal/ logs burning . A couple of years ago my heating system was changed and the gas connection by my fireplace was removed. Unless I pay to have a connection put back there I cant have a gas fire.So I bought an electric fire, with mock coal, it has three positions, 1] Heat blowing out and coal display ,2} Heat blowing out only, or 3} Display only
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 07:19 PM

I have a lovely fake effect woodburner with glowing coals and flames and two small effect doors,it has 3 settings also which can be set by remote control too.I often turn it on in the winter and I immediately feel cosier with seeing the fire glowing .
I very rarely have the heater blowing on it as I have oil central heating so dont really need it.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 07:23 PM

Save up and then have it taken out and replaced with a log burner.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 08:45 AM

Susan if your old one is working ok then keep it, so what if its not a modern one if it works ok why worry. ☺
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 08:56 AM

Yes have decided to give a new gas fire a miss . The money could be spent on a fantastic holiday instead ...yaaaay .

Now I'm gonna start looking for some sun

I'll wait till the gas fire falls off the wall !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Yes have decided to give a new gas fire a miss . The money could be spent on a fantastic holiday instead ...yaaaay .

Now I'm gonna start looking for some sun

I'll wait till the gas fire falls off the wall !

Paphos in Cyprus Susan darlin' - but only in Spring or Autumn (too hot through the summer). Can recommend a hotel for you - (Ascos Beach Hotel in Coral Bay - check out the photos in my profile and you'll see views of it). Went on an 'all inclusive' - meals are buffet style - take your plate and help yourself to as little (??) or as much () as you like.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Save up and then have it taken out and replaced with a log burner.
No way! We had a log burner for many years, and my job on the railway gave me access to unlimited amounts of wood.

However, the time spent in preparing the logs and transporting them, stacking them up for winter, and the daily chore of bringing them indoors, and cleaning the fire out each day - Nah!

It's just fine and dandy if you are a young lumberjack. For us oldies, we just want a switch to turn the hotbox on. None of this kneeling down each day cleaning the fireplace out, forget the screwed-up newspaper and the kindling - just switch it on...

My preference these days is for gas, and the artificial logs give me that lovely warm feeling just by looking at them.

OK, so a new unit will set you back a thousand pounds, but what the hell. It's your money, it's your comfort we are thinking about, and the grandchildren can make their own fortunes just like had to.

Think of number one for a change - you deserve it...

cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Always had a gas fire and usually put it on with a low setting but when we moved 4yrs ago the fire was ancient and literally hanging off the wall so had to go.
We opted for a coal effect electric fire, new surround and granite back and hearth. After researching online I got the lot delivered and paid for £550 and looks good, too. This place is very warm but I sometimes just have the heating on and the coals lit for effect.

Log burners?!! Had 6 months of that in France, no way!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top