Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 10:40 AM

What would stop you going to work ?

I've been criticised in the past for going into work when I shouldn't, but I am struggling to understand several of the people where I work who are off with a sore throat at the moment. One has been off a week the other 2 for 3 days so far. I believe I have the same sore throat but it isn't stopping me working (it can't I am the only cleaner on site due to everyone else being sick).

So I was just curious what it would take for everyone else to decide they were too sick to work ?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 10:43 AM

Re: What would stop you going to work ?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've been criticised in the past for going into work when I shouldn't, but I am struggling to understand several of the people where I work who are off with a sore throat at the moment. One has been off a week the other 2 for 3 days so far. I believe I have the same sore throat but it isn't stopping me working (it can't I am the only cleaner on site due to everyone else being sick).

So I was just curious what it would take for everyone else to decide they were too sick to work ?
I retired 24 years ago Julie so it doesn't apply to me anymore...but when I worked I would throw a sickie at the drop of a hat, I got paid the same if I was there or not....and no-one missed me !
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 10:47 AM

A sore throat has never stopped me from going to work. It probably is a good excuse for some.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I retired 24 years ago Julie so it doesn't apply to me anymore...but when I worked I would throw a sickie at the drop of a hat, I got paid the same if I was there or not....and no-one missed me !
No work no pay for me so that is always the driving force, also I feel guilty someone else has to cover my work - just seems no one else worries about me covering theirs at the moment. Will be after midnight when I finish tonight
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 10:52 AM

I was hardly ever off sick, I did have a frozen shoulder and worked till I just couldn't do my job and then had no choice and had two months off work in such pain. I did not get paid and lived on sick pay £80 per week . Living alone I couldn't afford to be sick with little income .

I've known people be off work with a headache for a week , they had husbands who would be working so it was no big issue for them .

I do also think we can be just too loyal , working when we really do need to rest
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 11:02 AM

On the times when I did work I would only take time off if I was genuinely feeling awful but I would go to work with a sore throat or a cold as I had to. If the cold or sore throat was too bad then Id stay off ...working with elderly residents I didnt want to spread my germs around too much.
Plenty of the younger staff would have sickies at the drop of a hat for hangovers or a late night out.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 11:28 AM

I was a college lecturer for 23 years and in that time I don't think I had as many as 23 days off sick in total.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 11:30 AM

I have been off with a heavy cold and sore throat when it would have interfered with work, because I was always having to take and receive phone calls. If I couldn't talk, I couldn't do my job.

My colds and coughs were always heavy and had me in bed for days on end.

Did return early after a nose op (deviated septum) cos my boss used emotional blackmail, and I ended up with an infection. Might have taken more sick leave, can't remember.

Also another boss wanted me in two weeks after fracturing an elbow. Fortunately on my return to the hospital I was given another sick certificate. Couldn't type, put paper in the typewriter...I was really struggling.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 12:41 PM

so I was just curious what it would take for everyone else to decide they were too sick to work ?
My decision was based on can I get out of bed and stand up .
If the answer was yes I was fit for work.
I had one day off in 15 years in my last job.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-10-2015, 12:47 PM

Yes that's how I judge it Meg, if I can stumble in I do. Even gone up stairs on my bum at times when my legs let me down. Just getting in can make me feel better I always think, sat home have too much time to feel ill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top