Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 01:01 PM

Suddenly, I'm feeling old.

I reach state retirement age this month - although I "retired" 9 years ago. Now I've started receiving all the details of my pensions and it's making me feel ancient.
When you're young it's hard to imaging retirement, pensions etc.. and then suddenly there it is and there's nothing you can do about it.

The state pension is paid every 4 weeks. Why don't they quote the annual amount and pay it monthly? I suppose it's a hangover from weekly pensions.

My main occupational pension is paid on the 6th. of each month in advance and my other pensions are paid at the end of the month in arrears. The smallest of these is the residue from my first job after leaving uni 44 years ago.
I did transfer the pension, but for some reason I am still entitled to £2.69 a month (less tax)

Well, I'm going to cheer myself up by spending it! Off on holidays soon and although I rarely smoke, I've got some cigars to celebrate.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Re: Suddenly, I'm feeling old.

mine starts paying out in November , it will mean a lot to me , ive not been on a holiday for many years , if i dont count my yearly visit to my daughter ..
So im going places , some to revisit places ive been to,,others to new towns and cities .. Its going to open up life for me .. Cann't wait to start drawing it ..
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Ssssshhhh don't let on what you are going to spend it on. Remember we are supposed to be cash strapped, struggling pensioners
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=Grumblewagon;701971]I reach state retirement age this month - although I "retired" 9 years ago. Now I've started receiving all the details of my pensions and it's making me feel ancient.
When you're young it's hard to imaging retirement, pensions etc.. and then suddenly there it is and there's nothing you can do about it.

As you say Grumble, nothing we can do about it. We've all been there, or else got it looming ahead.
Maybe we should just be thankful we made it this far.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 03:19 PM

My old GP used to dismiss things by saying that 100 years ago, I probably wouldn't have made it to this age!

Eliza, I hope you have a good time travelling. We plan to do the same - revisit some old places and see new some ones. When we lived near Portsmouth, it was easy to nip across to France. Now in N Scotland it's a long way, but we hope to start taking the camper back to the continent and do some touring. Till then, we fly, stay in hotels and use local transport.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 03:40 PM

George if you retired 9 years ago you shouldn't really feel any different just because you now qualify for a pension .

My pension is still paid weekly into my bank account so you must be one of the 'new breed' of pensioners .

I think age is irrelevant it is health that counts.
Enjoy your holiday old chap
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 06:09 PM

solo ---

funny but true ...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

05-09-2015, 06:41 PM

Meg, I enjoyed taking 'early retirement', but this is a sort of milestone when you're officially a pensioner. It was bad enough at 50 when Saga started sending me brochures, and then when I got my bus pass (sorry, 'Entitlement card') at 60. Mind you, I was often the youngest person on the bus!

Still, I'll happily take the money and grow old disgracefully. Health is still fine - hope it stays that way. I shall drown any germs with a good single malt.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Meg, I enjoyed taking 'early retirement', but this is a sort of milestone when you're officially a pensioner. It was bad enough at 50 when Saga started sending me brochures, and then when I got my bus pass (sorry, 'Entitlement card') at 60. Mind you, I was often the youngest person on the bus!

Still, I'll happily take the money and grow old disgracefully. Health is still fine - hope it stays that way. I shall drown any germs with a good single malt.
A great antiseptic I am sure George
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 06:59 PM

Something really trivial made me feel old. A friend gave me an ice cream that had a little bubblegum at the very bottom and as i chewed it I thought how the taste had remained the same after all these years. It was then I realised it was my first taste of bubblegum in just over half a century. :O

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top