Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:09 PM

Winter's coming

I had ordered a particular rose from the garden centre and they phoned me today to tell me it was in.

Although I was only there a couple of weeks ago, the change was very noticeable. A HUGE area had been turned over to the biggest bulb display they've ever had. Masses of every sort of autumn planting bulb you could think of.

All the bedding was 'going over' and being sold off cheap, and it looked like they were clearing another large indoor area for the start of the Christmas decorations.

I felt a bit sad at the obvious signs of summer fading away. I do not relish the thoughts of long, dark nights and bitter cold weather returning. I wish I didn't feel like this, but I do.
It didn't bother me when I was younger and I would look forward eagerly to Christmas and the first snowfall. I loved New Years Eve even more.

What brings it home to you about the changing seasons and the approach of winter again?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:17 PM

Re: Winter's coming

Quote ...What brings it home to you about the changing seasons and the approach of winter again?...unquote

I felt cold enough to put the Central Heating on ,my Sandals have been swapped for shoes today .I got the Bulb Catalogue through the post also today .
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:19 PM

400 quid for logs and 400 for phuracite for starters.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
400 quid for logs and 400 for phuracite for starters.

Pardon my ignorance Duke, but what's phuracite?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-09-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Quote ...What brings it home to you about the changing seasons and the approach of winter again?...unquote

I felt cold enough to put the Central Heating on
,my Sandals have been swapped for shoes today .I got the Bulb Catalogue through the post also today .

I must admit I thought about it this evening Eliza, but was determined not to give in quite this early.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:23 PM

Summer clothes just don't look right now.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:31 PM

Aw come on - let's hope for a nice Indian summer...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:32 PM

The windows are starting to 'huff up' after the cooler nights.

I'm thinking about changing the duvet to a higher tog

I also felt the need put a warm jumper on this evening
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-09-2015, 11:32 PM

Talking of summer clothes maursey, why, when everything is so cold and drab and grey in the winter months, do the shops expect us to wear grey, brown, black and every other drab colour you can think of?
It's bad enough with leaf-less trees, flowers in the garden gone, and dark brown fields devoid of anything but mud, let alone dressing like we're off to a funeral as well.
I think we should wear lots of cheerful colours over the winter, but the only time I see pretty colours is for the christmas party goers.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pardon my ignorance Duke, but what's phuracite?
Mups, I think Duke probably meant phurnacite which is a smokeless fuel ...... we used it years ago before we changed to gas CH.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top