Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 08:01 PM

Misleading TV ads.

Fair and honest advertising, do you think we will ever see it happen or is it purely the nature of the advertising business to mislead people into parting with money? There are some misleading adverts on TV at the moment, mainly for toothpaste and other oral health products, I also notice about these ads that the Dentists recommending the products never look the camera in the eye, neither would I if I was getting plenty of dosh for telling such whoppers. The one that really annoys me is the one about the bleeding gums when you brush your teeth, this is quite natural as bacteria adheres to newly washed gums immediately, it's the action of the toothbrush dislodging the dug in bacteria that cause mild bleeding, we all get it especially when we were younger, but they don’t tell you that. Another one telling people that product X 'Hardens the enamel' on teeth is an outright lie. I thought there was a fair trading body set up to tackle this kind of thing.
There is another ad for house loans that states 'Every six minutes we say yes to an application', but if they really wanted to be fair they would also tell you how many applications they said no to in six minutes, wouldn't they? Then I suppose that would be asking too much, like wanting jam on both sides of your bread.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 08:36 PM

Re: Misleading TV ads.

Lies, all of it, but people fall for it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 08:55 PM

They are there to promote a product, who would even think about buying a product that was advertised as no good.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Most ads which border on the very edge of truthful validity, hopefully insult the watchers intelligence and are often laughable in their absurdity.

I can openly say I have never been tempted to purchase anything from an ad and in fact it has done the opposite by putting me off the product
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 10:38 AM

I don't watch Adds
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 10:53 AM

I've found a lot of adverts are aimed at people who are gullible , also I find them very low in intelligence , sometimes as if they are talking to people with limited common sense . They come on much louder than the programme I may be watching .

There are the odd adverts which I actually enjoy , some are clever , but still doesn't encourage me to buy the product
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 10:53 AM

I thought that some have been quite tempting

Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 05:08 PM

What about all these ads for bingo where people only seem to win. Nobody ever seems to lose all their housekeeping money.

The one I don't understand is the woman who needs to help bake a cake but the fridge has broken down so she buys a new one. Now, if the oven had broken down .....
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
I thought that some have been quite tempting

Would have been tempting.. if it had been that big but somehow it shrunk once you got your hands on it.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Would have been tempting.. if it had been that big but somehow it shrunk once you got your hands on it.
Well Solo you surprise me, perhaps Kenny may have some input on that dilemma .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top