Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Dreams

Do you think that dreams could help us to overcome problems in our everyday lives?
If I have a problem I will ask in my mind for a solution to it before I go to sleep and hopefully dream a solution,Ive not really had any conclusive occurences as yet but I like to think its possible to dream of a solution or maybe to dream of options to resolving it.
What do you think?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Re: Dreams

Actually what you are suggesting is a technique that has been taught for many years now in the field of "Creating Thinking".

Just as you suggest, you write down or think hard about a given problem you want to solve immediately before you go to sleep so that it is the last conscious thing you were thinking. You have a pen and notebook ready by the bedside. As soon as you wake up you quickly record whatever you can remember on the notepad.

I can't personally testify as to it's efficacy.

Our subconscious however is clearly a part of our make-up. What it actually is we can only speculate and try to decipher but the fact that we all dream shows us that "something" is going on in our minds.

I suspect that there is some useful significance to it if only we could understand it.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 11:20 PM

You could gain some insight by reading The Interpretation of Dreams by none other than Sigmund Freud. I had a bash a long time ago and I did learn a lot from it if I remember rightly. Books by Freud are never easy bedtime reading though that is for sure .

Only 99p for the Kindle ...

The Interpretation of Dreams (Classics of World Literature)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpretati.../dp/1853264849
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 11:26 PM

would be great aysia if we could just click into resolve mode 'save a lot of stress and time wasting ........
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 05:05 AM

I'm quite convinced that ones brain can solve problems while you're asleep. When I was much younger I spent many years studying mathematics. More times than I care to remember I've gone to bed after wrestling with some mathematical problem and have awoken in the morning with the answer to it in my brain. It used to feel like something magical had taken place.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 05:40 AM

Interesting - will have to try that - although I don't usually recall my dreams any more .............
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm quite convinced that ones brain can solve problems while you're asleep. When I was much younger I spent many years studying mathematics. More times than I care to remember I've gone to bed after wrestling with some mathematical problem and have awoken in the morning with the answer to it in my brain. It used to feel like something magical had taken place.
Alan I saw a programme recently where it was suggested that students doing exams go to bed thinking about one piece of information because studies have shown that will help to store it in the mind.

I understand some studies seem to indicate that dreams time during which there is REM may plays some part in the filtering and storage of information we have received during the day so that would accord with the above.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Surely dreams are indicative of how vivid your imagination is !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Surely dreams are indicative of how vivid your imagination is !
I would think so yes one's imaginative thought are all part of the 'information' which is processed by the brain each day
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 07:23 PM

I have always found dreaming on a problem helps you to come up with the solution, if I have a particular tricky job to do I keep thinking about in bed until I nod off, 9 times out of 10 I’ll wake up with the right way to do the job, the scientists can call it what they like but I call it supernatural intervention and I’m very grateful for it wherever it comes from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top