Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Those poor poor horses😯

Just been reading about the horses that were taken by the British army to help during WW1 did you know out of the thousands that were taken none returned? No, after the war ended they were never repatriated instead they were all sold to the French butchers, after all those poor horses went through they ended up on the buthers slab absolutely disgusting!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 10:30 PM

Re: Those poor poor horses😯

Couldn't agree more Doc. I read about this somewhere before, and its appalling. Taken, used, abused, probably terrified most of the time, then just killed off once their job was done.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Yes. But have you ever read a little story by Anna Sewell?(sp) times were so different back then. Horses were just beasts and after WW1 there were so many wounded soldiers to bring back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 10:35 PM

Yes OG, I read Black Beauty many times as a kid.
You're right though, things were very different in those days I suppose.
Nowadays some of the war dogs and police dogs get medals and awards, even if it is posthumous.
I think this is right. They didn't volunteer their services did they, they were just taken and used.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 06:10 AM

I couldn't even watch the Warhorse puppet without crying. I'll never forget going to the Cloth Hall museum at Ypres and seeing footage of a horse's body that had been blown high into the branches of a tree, it upset me for days.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 06:23 AM

It really doesnt bear thinking about Doc...such magnificent animals its heartening to know that so many people do actually think of them and the service they provided for us too ..
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:26 AM

It was a different world then and, to be honest, the Politicians and the Generals treated their animals and their soldiers in much the same way. Both were just cannon fodder to be thrown into the conflict with no concern for their well-being. I'm not so sure much has really changed since then considering the treatment our injured and traumatised soldiers get.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top