Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 11:22 PM

Germs in cosmetics

I was reading today about out-of-date make up carrying nasty bacteria which can cause Meningitis and Septicaemia.
Also more tests carried out found germs which can lead to urinary and respiratory infections.
It says one bug, enterococcus faecalis, was discovered on out of date blusher, foundation and lipstick too. Unfortunately it was also found on a lip gloss not due to expire until next August.

The tests were carried out by London Metropolitan University after an appeal to ladies to send in their make-up.

Now they are warning pregnant women and mums with babies to take extra care.

I wear very little make up nowadays, (at least my dogs still love me, without all the slap on ), so any bits of make up that I do have are probably quite old.
Perhaps it's time for a clear out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 08:54 AM

Re: Germs in cosmetics

Lady I work with has a nasty eye infection from mascara, I use minimum I can just a little eye colour and lippy even that is not everyday.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 08:56 AM

Many forms of makeup contain fats of one kind or another, are regularly exposed to air and kept in a warm environment so not the least surprising they can contain nasty bugs.

I don't use a lot of make up these days but that which I do use is kept clean with mascara wand washed every couple of days .
I apply face powder with cotton wool pads used once and thrown away.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 09:43 AM

I gave up mascara years ago as it used to make my eyes itch.

All I use now is daily moisturiser and a light touch of lipstick.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Oh dear and I purchased 4 Avon eye-liners yesterday as they were reduced to less than half price.

My wife just asked how you get urinary tract infections as she never uses make up down there?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Oh dear and I purchased 4 Avon eye-liners yesterday as they were reduced to less than half price.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->

My wife just asked how you get urinary tract infections as she never uses make up down there?
you are so naughty Mike ....
As long as you don't open all the eyeliners at the same time and use them on your eyes at once they should be fine
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Just another good reason not to waste money on cosmetics. I never use anything other than moisturiser, so can't say it worries me.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 08:03 PM

TBH I don"t worry about wear dates with cosmetics, as long as they are unopened, so what and if they are ,to be frank have not had anything serious happen to my skin so far .
I think these people should find better things to do with their time.IMO.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2015, 08:40 PM

Just remembered mascara from the past wonder how todays science would view the cake of mascara many of us spat into to moisten it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top