Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Automobile Association

Can anyone remember the scam this company was involved in a few years ago? It was to do with car batteries if i remember rightly.
You called them out because your battery was flat and they would say you need a new battery this scam went on for ages i wonder if it still goes on?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 02:18 PM

Re: Automobile Association

I don't remember that Doc. Did they try to sell you a new battery?
If a battery has gone flat it normally means it is time to get a new one.
But that would depend on the age, if lights or other electrical device had been left on.
If it charges and holds the charge, then that's OK.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 02:26 PM

My hubby said they still have vans that do just batteries, and vans that do just tyres that's all we know?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 02:27 PM

Hi Emjay they certainly did try to sell you a new one. I ask because a friend of mine's car wouldn't start yesterday so she called out the AA and the chap told her she needed a new battery it cost her £76.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 03:17 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/money/200...kdown-recovery doesn't sound good I have to admit. But on the plus side have never had anything but great service from the AA and the RAC although cannot say the same for Green Flag.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 03:22 PM

I remember that very thing happened to me about twenty years ago when my car wouldn't start. With one slight difference. The AA man said the battery was fine but I needed a new car.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
http://www.theguardian.com/money/200...kdown-recovery doesn't sound good I have to admit. But on the plus side have never had anything but great service from the AA and the RAC although cannot say the same for Green Flag.
Been with the RAC for many years - Fab they are

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I remember that very thing happened to me about twenty years ago when my car wouldn't start. With one slight difference. The AA man said the battery was fine but I needed a new car.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 04:27 PM

AA....part of the Saga Group. As batteries are now sealed it is hard to take a specific gravity test of the electrolyte to determine any duff cells. They do a load test. Anyway if the battery is 7 years old it has done well, so even after 5 years it could be going home. And less used less they last.
If changing yourself, remember you may need to keep a supply going to the onboard engine management system and the radio, unless you recode it.
So perhaps changing is good advice.
maud
derbyshire
maud is male 

26-08-2015, 06:36 PM

I have found when it's time to renew the annual membership , the fee is always reduced when you telephone them and tell them you are thinking of leaving .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by maud ->
I have found when it's time to renew the annual membership , the fee is always reduced when you telephone them and tell them you are thinking of leaving .
Ooo thanks for the tip ....
We've been with them long enough, so are due a reduction

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top