Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Live Aid

Revelations about rebels in Ethiopia in 1985 skimming off funds that Bob Geldoff and the live aid concerts raised are disgraceful.

They raised 150 million pounds but 140 million was skimmed off to buy guns and bullets, one of the guilty men is now prime minister of Ethiopia, . . I hope he rots in the infernal regions for all eternity when it comes his time.

How could anyone do such a thing to starving children, . . it'll make me think twice before dipping into my pocket in future.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Re: Live Aid

Makes you sick doesn't it!
Miranda53
Buckinghamshire, UK
Miranda53 is female  Miranda53 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2010, 03:24 PM

I agree, it is disgraceful. All the talk about trying to help some of the African countries is pointless, until they can sort out their corrupt governments.

Plenty of money for guns and presidential palaces, but nothing for starving citizens.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
How could anyone do such a thing to starving children, . .
Having had the misfortune to live and work in some of these countries I feel qualified to answer that question.

It's simple you just have to be ruthless, devious, self centered, and egoistic.

The really sad part is that no matter who is in charge those attributes are the only way they can stay in control.

I was (briefly) in Uganda when Idi Amin was killing anyone not of his tribe, while bypassing UN sanctions and stashing millions in secret Swiss bank accounts.

Nothing changes.
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Although I did not see it I understand there was a robust denial of this by Bob Geldof....?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chr1st1an ->
Although I did not see it I understand there was a robust denial of this by Bob Geldof....?
I dare say Chris, . . he'll be worried in case the public are thinking like I am and withholding cash from any future appeals.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2010, 01:48 PM

I love Bob Geldof and when I returned to England from living abroad was just amazed at how naive Bob was being. I am sorry but to me anyone with half a brain was naive to raise and hand over to these corrupt governments cash that was given from the heart. These people don't give a damn about there own people and play on our sympathies to get money they are disgusting but worse our own government know what they are doing and because it is politically correct they say nothing.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2010, 02:00 PM

I believe Geldof may be taking legal action against the BBC
If their account is seriously innacurate I wish him every success - even though any monetary recompense he may get will be taxpayer funded
nero
Central Scotland

06-03-2010, 02:03 PM

It's a shame, . . we all gave willingly at the time after seeing those kids on our TV screens literally dying and starving to death, . . what did the UN do at the time ? . . sweet soddall, . . what have they done in other famines since ? . . the same, . . they go through the motions and give the impression they're doing something but it's down to charities like the Red Cross and Oxfam to actually get things done.

Genocide has been practised in Ethiopia for 50 years and because the perpetrators are funded form oil states in the middle east it will continue, . . it's time the UN took a stance there and moved in but it won't happen in case the Sheiks get offended.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top