Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Over attentive ?

Went to the garden centre yesterday, had a wander bought 2 house plants for our hanging baskets and then wandered into the separate pet area, as I went through the arch I was asked if I was OK could they help, no no just looking thank you. About 4 yards into the store another assistant popped out from behind the shelving - hello madam can I help you, no I am just looking thank you. Just turned the corner and another assistant dashed to my side - can I help you madam, no and if anyone asks me again I will leave without buying anything (I thought but didn't say) no thank you (rigid smile). Found the toys aisle (can never resist) and reached for an indoor ball, didn't quite get my fingers round it when a hand shot up and grabbed it, is this what you are after madam ?

Well I paid for it and left not bothering to get the chews I was hoping to find as I was a nervous wreck - where would next assistant spring from ? As I left a man went through the door and I heard the words Are you OK sir can I help you ? I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

I like help when I need it but wow that was over the top and they lost a sale too.

Do you like lots of attention when shopping or does it put you off too ?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:17 AM

Re: Over attentive ?

No attention please I hate it , and even worse is when they tail you as if you are a shop lifter ,Ive come to the conclusion I must look like one ,,it really irritates me .
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:31 AM

I don't like over attentiveness either.In some stores they ask at the tills "did you find everything you were looking for?"What would happen if you said "no"?And how come if you want to get something from a high shelf-you can't find an assistant to reach it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Remember being in a furniture store and the assistant followed us about - I asked him not to and if we needed help we would ask.
I just want to be left alone to browse ..........
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:51 AM

As a mere man I find that, in some quite large stores, there isn't an assistant to be seen. I like to ask where the item I am looking for is to be found to save me having to hunt for it and you only see the girl (or man) on the till.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:57 AM

That would surely irritate me Julie!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Try finding an assistant in Debenhams You could wander around all day and not see one. As for needing help....forget it as they don't seem to need your custom.

Cutting back on staff often seems like false economy when potential customers walk out because of lack of attention
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:09 AM

I agree with what others have said, you want an assistant there isnīt one but if you just want to browse they are like flies round a jam pot. It can be even worse in some restaurants, waiters/waitresses hovering around your table waiting to pounce, itīs so annoying.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I agree with what others have said, you want an assistant there isnīt one but if you just want to browse they are like flies round a jam pot
Originally Posted by clumsy ->
. .

Exactly how I feel, clumsy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:55 AM

I do wonder sometimes if the over attentive assistance think I am senile or a potential shop lifter

I have posted on here before I think about going to choose a new bed and an over attentive male assistant .
In the end I said
'Young man I am here to choose a bed.
It will probably be the last one I buy and the one on which I will die .
So thank you, but if you don't mind I would like a little time on my own to choose it .''
The assistant scuddled away never to be seen again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top