Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 11:34 PM

Baking soda

Is baking soda the same as baking powder?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Re: Baking soda

I would say not Mums, I call bicarbonate of soda baking soda. Baking powder is a mixture made up of of bicarb and cream of tartar.

Not sure about American recipes though, they may name things differently.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 12:14 AM

Mups, I agree with Meg, the short answer is no.

Baking soda needs an acidic ingredient like lemon juice to activate it. Baking powder is basically baking soda with the acid already built in.

(btw baking soda and bicarbonate of soda are different names for the same thing)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 12:36 AM

Thankyou ladies, what would I do without you. It's a bit confusing all this science.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Why do we need baking soda . ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 08:26 AM

It is brilliant for cleaning sink drains - 1 tablespoonful, followed by a cupful of vinegar, then a cupful of boiling water - keeps the pipework lovely and clean.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Why do we need baking soda . ?
My nan used to take 'bicarb' every day in case she got indigestion
It is used as a rising agent, ginger bread for one thing would not be the same without it.

It is also good at cleaning certain things.
Some big kitchens clean their ovens then 'paint' with a paste of bicarb and water, it doesn't look very pretty but helps prevent things sticking on the oven and shelves.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=Silver Tabby;695871]It is brilliant for cleaning sink drains - 1 tablespoonful, followed by a cupful of vinegar, then a cupful of boiling water - keeps the pipework lovely and clean.[/QUOTE

Well what a good idea I knew it was good for cleaning but never used it for the sink, but I shall now, thank you
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Mups, the names are confusing even when you know the difference!

Think of it this way...

Baking powder sounds like flour = baking only

Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda/bicarb has a million different uses from cleaning to health.
My mum used to mix about a third of a teasp of it in a little water and drink this several times a day if she thought she had a cold coming, swore it worked!!
You can buy the soda in crystals and heap them over the plug hole of the kitchen sink and pour boiling water over to cleanse it
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 11:14 AM

erm ... they look very similar to me and my bag of bicarb can easily be confused with my bag of salt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top