Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 12:35 AM

Where's Jem when I need him?

Jem, can you tell me how I should clean a slightly tarnished silver neck chain with an amethyst pendant on it please?

Also, a small gold crucifix on a fine chain as well?

I have read a bit about tin foil and baking soda with warm water, but would that harm the amethyst?
I have also seen toothpaste and a soft brush recommended, but not sure about this?

Any advice would be appreciated please.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 08:15 AM

Re: Where's Jem when I need him?

Hi Mups. Just in case Jem doesn't come in.
I use Silvo for my jewellery. I get the wadding one which
is in a small tin. Its pink and is made by the same people
who make Brasso. Brasso is too abrasive for the silver and
gold jewellery so try the Silvo. It wont hurt the Amethyst
as you don't have to clean the stone normally.
Its been on the go for over a hundred years now believe it not.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 08:33 AM

If in doubt a jeweller will advise and provide proper cleaning stuff
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 08:57 AM

I got some from the jewellers - it was brilliant. I just drop the silver chains in the pot of cleaning fluid for 30 seconds and they come out shining like new. I'm not sure if it would harm an amethyst though so best ask advice before dipping.

Come on Jem - Mups needs you.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 12:00 PM

There is nothing laid down in stone about the right way to get the tarnish off silver, suggestions given by Sandy and Carol are good Mups, seeing that you probably have the baking soda and foil at hand I would go ahead and use it, it will get the tarnish off anyway, semi precious stones are tough and you certainly won’t harm a stone by boiling it in water. Use a toothbrush to brush out any dirt that may have gathered behind the stone. Silver tarnishes after a while when exposed to the air and when you are not wearing your pendant put it in a small sealable plastic bag and it will save you a lot of cleaning later on. So get out in that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans.

For my work I use a small barrel polishing machine for polishing awkward to get at items, just join them up with a piece of wire so you won't have to search for them individually when you take them out, put them in and they spin for half an hour, it was an expensive little thing but it does a good job when you have several items to do.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Jem, what about an old, grubby looking fine gold neckchain as well, is that safe with the foil and baking soda too, or the Silvo Bowie Eyes suggested?
As you say, the stones should be alright with hot water, though I have read that if they are only glued in, it can melt the glue?
I rarely wear jewellery, and this isn't expensive stuff I'm talking about, but I like it nevertheless.

Thankyou ladies for your help too.

P.S. Is baking powder the same as baking soda?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 02:18 PM

Ah there’s glue involved, I assumed the stone/stones were set in with claws. If you want to avoid boiling the glue areas, this is what I would do, firstly forget about the foil idea, put about an inch of water into an old saucepan, add a spoon of washing powder and a spoon of household ammonia, bring it to the boil then hold the item in the palm of your hand and when the water cools down a bit use the toothbrush to brush the article all over, dipping into the mixture every so often until the tarnish comes off, then rinse it out. this way gives the item a really good cleaning too.
You could always use the stuff Carol suggested but keep it away from the clue areas, I don’t know how the chemicals would react to the glue, maybe it wouldn’t harm it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-08-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Hi Mups. Just in case Jem doesn't come in.
I use Silvo for my jewellery. I get the wadding one which
is in a small tin. Its pink and is made by the same people
who make Brasso. Brasso is too abrasive for the silver and
gold jewellery so try the Silvo. It wont hurt the Amethyst
as you don't have to clean the stone normally.
Its been on the go for over a hundred years now believe it not.

Is Silvo alright for gold as well Sandy?

Jem, is that mixture ok for gold as well as silver, Jem?

Thankyou both.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-08-2015, 12:31 AM

Well, I happened to have to go into town today, and while I was there I saw a jewellers. I thought I'd pop in and ask if they sold anything like the stuff Carol said about. She said they did. I told her I needed it for both gold and silver and explained what I was trying to do. She assured me it would be fine.
When I got home, I took the stuff out of the box and started to read the instructions on the side of the jar. It said:

"Silver Clean is ONLY intended for silver and silver plate. For gold, platinum, diamonds, rubies and saphires, use Jewel Clean.
WARNING: Limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect. Possible risk of harm to the unborn child."

Blimey! Not only was I very cross because I made a point of explaining I had both silver and gold to clean, then found out it wasn't for gold at all, the health warnings (there were more as well), I found scary indeed.
It made me wonder if she knew anything about the product whatsoever.

I decided I didn't want to use it and phoned the shop to tell her and explain why. I have now got to go all the way back again on Monday to return it .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-08-2015, 03:42 PM

P.S. Just bought some Silvo, Sandy! That seems the easiest way and less fiddly.

Thanks for the lessons Jem, but it a bit too complicated for my simple brain.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top