Join for free
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:38 AM

Finally gone and they were my favourites !

My reading specs that is.
I have sixteen different pairs of readers, ranging from +2 to +3.5 dioptres, I don't need normal vision ones.
I have one pair for reading books etc, one pair for my laptop, one pair for my iPad, one pair for gardening that don't drop off etc. etc.
My favourite 'all purpose' pair (that cost 99p) I have had for several years, but now they have finally given up the ghost.
Normally residing in my shirt pocket they were always there when I needed them, I lost them a couple of years ago in the garden, I was in despair and they were gone for almost a year, until I discovered them under a flower tub ! I was delighted.
Today, however, they finally died when one of the arms broke away from the lenses.....a very sad day indeed for me.
I shall now have to get used to a new pair, and I do not relish the prospect...sadly nothing lasts forever !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Re: Finally gone and they were my favourites !

If you like them that much maybe you could get them repaired?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gl...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Or have the lenses mounted in a similar frame.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:44 AM

You sound like my OH, he has different glasses for various activities, and they are a mixed bunch of single vision and varifocals.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
If you like them that much maybe you could get them repaired?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gl...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Or have the lenses mounted in a similar frame.
Thanks very much for that Mark
I have tried to repair them alas to no avail, but they are very old and would only go again even if a professional repair were possible, remembering that they only cost 99p
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 10:31 AM

Why don't you just go to the pound shop and buy another pair.
I'm sure you'll find some the same if you look!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 10:55 AM

I can totally relate to your dilemma Malcolm, I also have several pairs of specs located around the house for varied tasks. But recently I had a pair made up for driving, the optician said I was borderline - (I have never needed glasses for longer distance) but in all honesty, I have found them beneficial. So added to my collection of spectacles, are a pair in the car.

For expeditions out into the wide world I have always found glasses cases somewhat bulky, so I take my favourite pair out tucked inside the top button of my shirt. They have avoided destruction many times when bending down, then, on one unfortunate day they fell to the ground unobserved and I felt the delicate framework submit to my weight as my foot came down onto my cherished specs.....We had been together many years, all through the years I worked for Royal Mail as a postman, they had accompanied me through retirement, and more recently; assisted in the choice of cuisine as I thumbed my way through various restaurant menus; selected appropriate medication from my prescription; and we rejoiced together when receiving notification of my first ever state pension when freshly qualified as an OAP.

Now I mourn the loss of my favourite pair of spectacles as I sit helplessly on a bus trundling along in a world of blur and illegible street signs, back to Specsavers in an attempt to make sense of the written word once again with an overpriced pair of designer spectacles with scratch resistant lenses and the remains of the last two weeks pension in my wallet.....
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 11:27 AM

What is a ipad?

I have got a new smart phone, for reasons unknown. That has been in its box since purchased and will end up in the bin.
Lost my fav poloriod sunglasses a couple two weeks back and have purchased three new pairs, which I expect will get lost.
The two new camera's are still in their boxes along with a lot of other gadgets and junk
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 11:46 AM

One of my fav subjects - Glasses - lots of them.

I too, even though I never thought I would be,
am a glasses freak.

I have about 24 pairs of glasses with only 2 of those being
from the optician. The rest are in price from 99p to about £5.99 each
and I use them for the PC, others for the bingo, others for reading etc.
I have also become obsessed with sunglasses too and have about 21 pairs of different colours and styles.

I also had a problem with my fav PC glasses when the arm fell
off and one of those nose bobbles fell off and made them lop sided.
They didn't look cute but I loved them. They have now gone to
the dustbin in the sky.

I find it much more interesting than collecting beer mats.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
One of my fav subjects - Glasses - lots of them.

I too, even though I never thought I would be,
am a glasses freak.

I have about 24 pairs of glasses with only 2 of those being
from the optician. The rest are in price from 99p to about £5.99 each
and I use them for the PC, others for the bingo, others for reading etc.
I have also become obsessed with sunglasses too and have about 21 pairs of different colours and styles.

I also had a problem with my fav PC glasses when the arm fell
off and one of those nose bobbles fell off and made them lop sided.
They didn't look cute but I loved them. They have now gone to
the dustbin in the sky.

I find it much more interesting than collecting beer mats.
Oh, waking down the street holding a beer mat in front of your face like a zombie , that craze has not reached these parts yet

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top