Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 08:58 AM

Have you ever been duped..

On the internet I mean.

I'm usually very careful but there was this one time I took advantage of an offer that seemed good. I got an email offering me a free sample of this miracle wrinkle cream. Well of course I know it doesn't really work.. - but something for nothing eh?
I clicked to receive the free sample and was asked to send £1.95 P&P.
I thought nothing of it and the 'free' sample came - a full sized pot of face cream. I was very pleased until my credit card bill came. I saw they'd charged me £200 for it! Apparently I'd clicked to join some sort of beauty club and they were going to send me a product costing that amount every month.

Well I went frantic, Tony was calling me an idiot (which I was)

After a very fraught morning on the phone to my bank they said they'd refund me the money and sort my problem out.

Hurrah for Nationwide - they were wonderful. They got me the money back and put a stop to any future offers from this company. I was very lucky.

Have you ever been duped and how did it turn out?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:15 AM

Re: Have you ever been duped..

Yes I remember when that happened, Carol! I try to be careful. I had an email claiming to be from my website manager because my web name needs renewing soon. Damned if I'm going to click on his (yes, a 'he') link to renew! Before I go away on holiday I will go straight on to the website on which I have my account and pay through them.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Yes I was duped a while ago, there's a thread on it somewhere on here. I foolishly bought a pair of really pretty Converse trainers from what looked like a perfectly respectable sports firm. The clue was in the fact that they were unobtainable in this country. Duh!! Received a shoddy pair of rubbish black plimsoles from China...long story, got fobbed off several times, lost my money.
Had I kept the fakes my bank would've sorted it out, lesson learnt.

These days if a firm won't take PayPal I don't buy, OR I order by phone.

My sister did same as you Carol, might even have been the same cream. Ordered a free sample then found she was being fleeced every month. Took several furious emails and a call to US to get it stopped.
The monthly bill WAS IN THE SMALL PRINT!!! but most people don't read it!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:58 AM

I've seen the ads for the samples and always ignore them - I'm not trusting of companies anyway
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Thanks for letting Us know about Your experiences Carol and Ruthio,a lesson to Us all...there's no such thing as a free lunch (or free wrinkle cream) x
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Duped is the word and I own up,it was my own silly fault. Back in the early days on forums I actually believed someone was genuine. I have a soft heart so I `loaned` her £200 to get shoes for her kid. Grief I am a lot harder now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 11:04 AM

I haven’t been done but my daughter was telling me recently that her husband and her two sons wanted to see a pay to view fight on the TV, she booked it thinking it would cost 20 euro or so, when she got her bill it was for 75 euros and she was committed to pay this every month to watch more pay per views, she contacted her credit card company and got it sorted out, it seems they can just sign you up to what they like and the onus is on you to stop it, bloody out and out criminality in my opinion and they should be charged with fraud.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 01:05 PM

I was almost duped by a company that had a really good offer on the first pair of shoes ordered but as I read the smallprint it said about being obliged to order more shoes every 3 months or so and I would be charged if I ordered or not. Didnt seem like such a good idea after all. Was tempting as I love shoes but NOT that much I found out! lol

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top