Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 07:53 PM

Black Taxi Cabs

In the greater London area people with certain health /mobility conditions can use a London black taxi cab at a reduced rate for a few journeys a year.But private cab firms are being allowed to pick up fares instead of a taxi,Today I was told by one that in a year or two these cabs will not be in use ,as the private companies are taking over. I hope he doesnt mean in the City,as black taxi cabs are part of our tourist attraction
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 09:08 PM

Re: Black Taxi Cabs

Originally Posted by deylon ->
In the greater London area people with certain health /mobility conditions can use a London black taxi cab at a reduced rate for a few journeys a year.But private cab firms are being allowed to pick up fares instead of a taxi,Today I was told by one that in a year or two these cabs will not be in use ,as the private companies are taking over. I hope he doesnt mean in the City,as black taxi cabs are part of our tourist attraction
They are so uncomfortable it is a joke. At least mini cabs are comfortable and will take a person where they want to go .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 09:30 PM

When i went to London last year I took a trip in a Black Taxi and it was something I enjoyed and wouldnt have missed .
I think you are right deylon it is a tourist thing ..
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 09:38 PM

Naa, nobody walks in London they catch cabs, the one good point is you can hail a cab but not a mini cab. Then I have never seen a mini cab in the City.
Now we have Tut-Tuts ? it seems , charging £280 per mile.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
When i went to London last year I took a trip in a Black Taxi and it was something I enjoyed and wouldnt have missed .
I think you are right deylon it is a tourist thing ..
Yes it was all part of the visit when we went too, the kids loved travelling around in them too.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 11:12 AM

Private hire cars will never take over from black cabs, because private hire are not hackney carriages and cannot pick passengers up from the roadside, unless you book a private hire cab from their office you are not insured to travel in one.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 07:34 PM

The problem going on at the moment is that mini cab drivers are being offered jobs originally given to black cabs. When a customer of this scheme wants a cab they have to ring ,or go on line ,to central booking office , to book a cab,which is then supposed to be offered to the nearest free cab in the area, but the cab drivers are complaining that they are not being offered work ,the fares are being given to mini cab firm. I find a black cab easier to get into ,and the drivers usually get out of their cab to offer any assistance, being that the service is for people with mobility / health conditions, tmini cabs are usually4x4 and high off the ground to get into ,and little leg room between seats,and their drivers never get out of their car to offer assitance
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
The problem going on at the moment is that mini cab drivers are being offered jobs originally given to black cabs. When a customer of this scheme wants a cab they have to ring ,or go on line ,to central booking office , to book a cab,which is then supposed to be offered to the nearest free cab in the area, but the cab drivers are complaining that they are not being offered work ,the fares are being given to mini cab firm. I find a black cab easier to get into ,and the drivers usually get out of their cab to offer any assistance, being that the service is for people with mobility / health conditions, tmini cabs are usually4x4 and high off the ground to get into ,and little leg room between seats,and their drivers never get out of their car to offer assitance
But the private hire cabs are not allowed to use the bus lanes, although some don't seem to know it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top