Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 11:28 AM

Defrosting Freezers - Any Tips

I hate defrosting my large freezer, the smaller one takes care of itself fortunately. I have emptied it into three cool bags and placed a bowl of hot water in the top freezer space but anyone got any tips on hurrying the job through before the produce starts to thaw?
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 11:36 AM

Re: Defrosting Freezers - Any Tips

Just one, Moyra;
Don't be tempted to use a hair-dryer to speed the de-icing process up..

I did, and damaged the inside walls irrepairably.

Can you not ask nextdoor to put your frozen stuff in her freezer for a few hours?
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 11:39 AM

I doubt she would have that much room, no without any firm ways of hurrying it along I shall have to keep refilling the bowl with very hot water. Once I can get the ice moving I should be able to brush or knock it off the elements provided I go careful.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 11:52 AM

I do what you are doing, put bowl hot water in and try and remove the ice while I can get it into chunks and before it turns to water, then dry with an old towel to finish.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Get a little trigger spray and keep filling it with hot water and spray onto the ice. I keep an old towel at the bottom of the freezer which I keep wringing out into a bowl.
Moyra
South East Essex

18-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Hmm, don't think I have an empty spray bottle could use the Dettol spray I have handy and try that and when that is used up refill it with hot water and spray on the ice. It is beginning to thaw ok now but is taking its time. Thanks everyone for your help. I would imagine the deicer you have for car windscreens is not really advisable as it contains chemicals.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 12:02 PM

You say you have a small freezer as well. What you should do is let the contents of both freezers run as low as possible and then when the big freezer needs defrosting put the stuff from it in the small freezer.

No rush to get the job done ... That's what I do.

I use the bowl of hot water method too.
Moyra
South East Essex

18-08-2015, 12:07 PM

Unfortunately the small freezer is basically for my sons fishing bait and I am lucky if I get a shelf in there. If I had a larger kitchen I would get another small freezer. He'll be cooking up more bait soon and then I shall have to vacate that freezer altogether!
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 12:09 PM

P.L.E.A.S.E. don't use a screwdriver or knife to dig the chunks of ice off the walls...
Moyra
South East Essex

18-08-2015, 12:17 PM

There was only a little Dettol cleaner in one bottle so emptied that and filled the empty spray bottle managed to spray the very top back where it is difficult to get to so am hoping with that and filling the ice tray up with hot water will help that defreeze quicker.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top