Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Mice.

How do you think they get in the house?

We get the odd ones so we keep a trap permanently set. We've not had one for three months and now we've caught another one - a young one.

Makes me think there might be a nest somewhere.

Eeeekkkk...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Re: Mice.

I guess from the garden if you have double doors leading there .........
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
How do you think they get in the house?

We get the odd ones so we keep a trap permanently set. We've not had one for three months and now we've caught another one - a young one.

Makes me think there might be a nest somewhere.

Eeeekkkk...
Often they will find a tiny opening around pipes or meters.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 12:21 PM

Just don't buy Nolans Cheddar

malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 01:30 PM

I live in the countryside and am surrounded by wildlife, mice, shrews, rats etc. etc.
They never come into the house because...
We make sure that any external pipework etc. is well sealed, and never store any possible food sources where any hungry mouse can find it.
They only enter your property looking for food and only stay if they can find it !
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 01:43 PM

You only need an opening the diameter of the end of a pencil for them to squeeze in. Houses are full of tiny openings and cracks you probably never even notice.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
You only need an opening the diameter of the end of a pencil for them to squeeze in. Houses are full of tiny openings and cracks you probably never even notice.
You must have micro mice in your part of the world Eccles
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 07:00 AM

The smallest hole a mouse can fit through.

I always thought that this was a little bit of a myth because after almost ten years running a pest control business I had never seen a mouse fit through a hole that size.

Most of the holes I had seen them both make and fit through we're about 20 - 30mm.

That all changed when earlier this year a mouse almost the size of my fist disappeared through the metal grill of a wall vent. The hole it squeezed through was just 10mm x 10mm. I was stood with a customer at the time and we both looked at each other in amazement.

So yes, they most definitely can fit through some extraordinarily small gaps. Remember, the one I described was an adult mouse, so a juvenile mouse could easily fit through a gap the diameter of a ball point pen.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2015, 10:46 AM

I have always found that when speaking of 'pests' people are, shall we say, prone to exaggeration .... rats the size of a small dog, a swarm of wasps that clouded the sky, cockroaches that covered the entire floor of a room etc. etc. so mice that can fit through an opening the diameter of the end of a pencil fits very neatly into this description.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 06:37 PM

I was given a specially designed mouse trapping box which is just a wooden box with 2 holes in it. Behind the holes are tubes made with chicken wire bent at the end. The mice can crawl into it no problem but can't crawl out again. You ctahc them and then just release them a long way away.

I just check the size of the holes on it. A British 20p coin barely fits in it them. For those not in the UK this is the size of the hole:

I've caught 2-3 decent sized mice in it within 10 mins of putting it down in a room known to have mice in it. The guy who gave it to me has caught hundreds with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top