Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 10:18 PM

First time I've seen a 'live' mole.....

.......and that was courtesy of Hatti!! She has always had a keen interest in mole-hills and whilst out walking this morning saw her in front of me having a good dig-she came back when I called her with a live mole in her mouth As labradors are soft-mouthed the mole wasn't injured in any way. Luckily my friend was with me and when Hatti dropped the mole into my friends hand we had a good look at it. I know they can do a lot of damage to lawns etc. but they are cute....we didn't really know what was the best thing to do with it so we placed it back in the hole where it had been 'dug up' from and covered it with soil. Hopefully it will be alright, although my instinct is it may have died with shock, I really hope not.

Will have to keep a close eye on the Hatti girl from now on as I really don't want her to bring me another one.........
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Re: First time I've seen a 'live' mole.....

Ah bless! I do think they are so cute with their velvet suits.

Always get a "Wind in the Willows" moment when I see a mole!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 11:04 PM

Yes a living creature that lives all it's life underground strange ? they are a big problem in our garden, so many I can't cut the grass sometimes and they've even started lifting the slabs on the driveway!!!

Apparently one good way to get rid of them is to block up all the holes except one and put a pipe from your car exhaust down it but I couldn't do that, thoughts of the Nazi concentration camps come to mind.

I prefer to persuade them to leave peacefully by uttering a barrage of expletives in their direction
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 11:20 PM

I've never seen a "live" mole ...... if we had them round here I don't think they would stand a chance with Cassie!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 11:26 PM

After today I'm so glad that my garden is mainly gravel-would never get Hatti in if any 'mole-hills appeared!!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
After today I'm so glad that my garden is mainly gravel-would never get Hatti in if any 'mole-hills appeared!!!!
That would keep her occupied for hours!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

28-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That would keep her occupied for hours!
It certainly would Mags, would be able to get on with my jobs without having her follow me round...(not that I mind that)
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 02:57 AM

Here in the City we don't have a mole problem either; never seen a live one. I too think of Wind in the Willows. Luckily Leia's an indoor cat, she'd probably tackle one, although they're larger than a rat .....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 03:35 AM

Glad you put it back - I think they're cute too
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 11:37 AM

I think moles are quite tough
I've only seen them when extricated by dogs too - but that's hardly suprising as they are 100% underground creatures. They're a bit 'fish out of water' above ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top