Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Spelling Errors Arghhhh

I guess in today's culture spelling, even handwriting have become passé. I was an English major so it kind of bothers me. I can understand some people are otherwise bright and just lousy at spelling. I'm helpless at even simple math.

But when you see signs that have been professionally made, yet misspelled it says something about today's culture. At work it gets even sillier. The person who draws shelf and sale signs has English as maybe a third language.

Big sign in the garden department right now
"Wiskey Baril Speciel, $5.99"
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Re: Spelling Errors Arghhhh

I know what you mean. But it's one thing to spell incorrectly because you don't know any better, quite another to deliberately do so. I hate the trend to write things like 'tonite' instead of 'tonight', or 'lite' instead of 'light'. Why do people think it is trendy?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 08:13 PM

Hi Opheila, yep, like you was fine with spelling when younger and absolutely rubbish with maths. What career did I end up in but Finance. ha ha ! thank god for calculators !
I do remember when my brother started an off-licence and tobacconist shop. He hired a sign writer to display the sign above the premise door to show he held a court licence to sell alcohol and tobacco. It wasn't until it had been erected by the sign writer that my brother noticed the wording..... he had spelled the word tobacco as tabacco !! and this from a supposedly experienced sign writer !!.

Mind you, nowadays it doesn't seem as important to be able to spell correctly as it was in my younger days. I get confused sometimes with how the spelling of words has changed , for example as I have done above - I have put the word as I always see it nowadays.... past tense ...spelled.....but I seem to recall it was always spelled out as the word spelt ???? crikey, I'm confusing myself now. ha ha !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 09:14 PM

Spare a thought for me and my home town! A new sign put up by TfL at our station has left an 'h' from our name, and time tables for the rail replacement service have misspelled the name of a road.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 09:22 PM

It's apostrophes that drive me up the proverbial.

Went to Odstock hospital and went into the very nice cafe there.

Notice offering Cream Tea's, and Tea's was repeated further down the notice with the prices.

Someone had crossed out the apostrophes with a pen, that did make me laugh!!
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 09:27 PM

Wrong uses of the apostrophes drive me mad too.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Notice offering Cream Tea's, and Tea's was repeated further down the notice with the prices.

Oh how often am I tempted to do that! might do so from now on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Come on, own up ruthio - it was you.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:47 PM

I have to confess if I hadn't had notes I would've failed grammar. I'd rather put pins through my eyes than try to diagram a sentence.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]

Come on, own up ruthio - it was you.
No! No! 'Twas not!

I was there with my brother, he hates stray apostrophes like me, we both said we'd have done it if we'd had a marker pen with us!

You don't always take a marker pen with you to a hospital!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top