Join for free
Dorest Ginger
New Member!
Luton
Dorest Ginger is female 

27-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Getting older and grumpier or is it me!

Have just found this site and have been reading some interesting experiences and I wanted to share a frustrating experience of my own and see if anyone has anything similar.

Like many of us I suppose, there are parts that don't work so well as they used to and that seems to include my diminishing ability to hear and so I have been looking into some options recently and have been quite appalled by the alternatives available.

In order to help people with hearing loss that apparently is as common as the need for reading glasses and supposedly about as easy to provide help for there appear to be two options (both of which I have now had first hand experience of!):

The NHS: Make a swift (if you can get one for non-urgent issues such as hearing loss) appointment to see an already overburdened GP who may screen you for a variety of issues that result in hearing loss before potentially referring you to the hospital for a hearing test (assuming you are unlucky in missing the random chance as to whether that particular surgery offers hearing screening or test and their subsequent availability. And even if they do have this rare service they then have to refer you on for fitting in any case). Having waited the appropriate amount of time for your next appointment, around 2 weeks minimum I was told, you then visit an even more overburdened hospital whose finance and human resources are mostly (and rightly?) focused on serious health issues (hence the privatisation of glasses for example). Whereupon you wait in a queue to see someone for a hearing test (all the while looking around you wondering why something as simple as the need for reading glasses makes you feel like something is seriously wrong; a feeling created by words being used such as 'rehabilitation' and 'devices'). Assuming it is then confirmed that you do indeed have something as common as the need for reading glasses (about 90% of the time this will be the case) you are then advised of the next available date for a ‘fitting’ session whereupon what now feels like a ‘prosthesis’ will be tailored to your unique needs, having been re-assured by the fact that several months of post prosthetic fitting rehabilitation and follow up visits are likely to be required (assuming you can arrange timely further appointments at your, no doubt, personal convenience).

Going Private: Broadly the same as above only (slightly) quicker but with the added risk that you might be sold unnecessary bluetooth connection kits, outrageously priced and often superfluous extended warranties, aftercare packages and insurance. Oh and if you manage to resist all those extra goodies it will still set you back on average around £1,100 per ear, for a product they bought in for around £150 (I found this little nugget out from a friend of a friend and couldn't believe it!).

Having analysed the current choices available to the un-wary pensioner, is it any wonder that the RNID (who actually preach most of the very issues highlighted) and others have to spend so much time to get the millions of people they say have hearing problems to do anything about it – frankly I think I am inclined to ignore the problem until it becomes unbearable to me and the ones I love!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Re: Getting older and grumpier or is it me!

Hi Emelia, welcome to the site

I can imagine how frustrating it all is for you and I don't know why some of the charities don't get involved. I think it's awful how companies are allowed to profiteer like this, esp of the vulnerable.
sixdeck
New Member!
Bransgore UK
sixdeck is male 

28-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Re: Getting older and grumpier or is it me!

Hi Dorset, I saw this about a friend of Prince Williams in last Sunday's Mail on Sunday - don't know if it might help!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-rip-offs.html

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top