Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:48 AM

Acts of kindness

Have you ever done an act of kindness for anyone or had someone do an act of kindness for you? I was on a bus a few year ago when someone got of the bus but left their wallet on the seat i found it and luckily the address was inside so i returned it to the owner, another time i found a mobile phone and called one of the numbers and got a right earache it was the mother of the mobile phone owner after explaining things she came round to mine to claim it and gave me £5 which i did refuse but she insisted i take. I have also helped people in supermarkets that did not quite have the correct money also people getting on buses that were maybe a penny or tuppence short. So do tell your stories☺
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:56 AM

Re: Acts of kindness

I would do the same - not many of us left ................. ?
Hope I'm wrong and there are plenty out there
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:02 AM

Funny you should say that Doc. Just 2 days ago I was in our local park with the dogs, and sat down on a bench for a while.
When I looked around I saw something had been left on the end of the seat. It turned out to be a wallet and a passport. I took them both down to the offices in the park and handed them in.
I felt peculiar I must say, because I didn't want to be seen picking them up and walking off with them, but on the other hand, if I didn't, someone not quite so honest could have taken them instead.
I hope he/she got them back alright.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:04 AM

I feel a little embarrassed at telling you of this, but.....

I was queuing up at a Wal-Mart's check-out and the lady in front of me was rooting around in her handbag for an extra couple of dollars to cover the cost of her groceries. There was a young child crying in her trolley, and she was obviously stressed; I don't think she had quite enough to pay.

I nodded to the girl on the till indicating that I would pay the difference, and put my finger on my lips to say, 'Shhh'

The till girl said, 'How much do you have there? That'll be fine.' and closed the transaction. I moved up with my stuff, and it was dealt with. I then reminded the till girl that I also owed for the previous customer, and she said, 'Don't worry about that. Thank you anyway for your kindness.

The smiles were worth the offer of a few dollars.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:13 AM

I try to help when I can most recent was lady was a little frazzled ahead of me in the supermarket queue trying to put her stuff on the conveyor and pack so I unpacked her trolley for her then helped her pack her bags. Took no time really as I would just have been queuing if I hadn't lent a hand.

I picked up a fiver this morning too and chased after a man who had dropped it when he took something out of his pocket, might have thought twice about that one if I had known how rude he would be
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Not an act of kindness but one of honesty. Many years ago I worked in a petrol station and a wallet had been left on the counter. I put it down underneath, out of sight, after checking ID, to await it being claimed.

Another man did come in, asked if it was still here, I lifted it from under the counter, he flicked through the large wad of notes inside, and handed me a reward. The owner had obviously said to him, if the contents are intact, hand the reward over.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Three of us girls were in Devon , pulling off the mororway around 8.30 pm we saw a young girl alone in her car , after speaking she told us she had run out of petrol. We drove for half hour with her to get some, took her back to the car and still had problems as car was on slope and petrol not reaching where it should , we tried pushing the car up the slope and still would not start. We were going to take her back to the rented cottage for the night but after a good hour or so we called police for help. They eventually got car started and she left .I did ask her to let us know she got home and gave her my number, she never called but I did not really mind just wanted her to be safe.

During these couple of hours the driver friend in our car moaned and complained about having put herself out for this girl and told me she would have just driven past her ......after the girl had left us safely on her way , driver friend and I had a big row , I was appalled that she would have driven past her alone in the dark , she was angry at me for telling her to stop and help. We no longer speak , I saw a very selfish spoilt person that night who was so selfish and did not want her in my life anymore. A mother herself too.

I have always been someone to offer help and guess I always will .

The world is harsh enough ,let's all show kindness to others
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:45 AM

I was in the queue behind an elderly lady in a fish and chip shop. She was sorting out her change for her order, and was 5p short. The server behind the counter was looking iratated, and I could see the old dear was getting flustered. I placed the extra 5p with her change on the counter, and said to the server, "happy now?". The old lady looked at me and said "thank you, you are most kind".
It's nice to do a good deed occasionally.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:53 AM

I once found a purse an elderly lady had left on a bus (I had seen her get up from where I found the purse). It had some £300 in it which I handed in to the driver. He took my details but I never heard another word about it. I have often wondered if the driver kept it for himself.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 12:33 PM

Acts of kindness can cover a few ways. I only have a mobile phone for emergencies so can go many months without needing to top up. On a recent jaunt I needed to use my phone only to find the £21.00 credit I had was gone, wiped out, disappeared, departed,left.

As I had checked the amount before leaving I hurtled into the nearest EE/Orange shop ready to do battle. It was late afternoon but the young man listened, checked, fiddled, phoned head office, phoned here ,there and everywhere (which meant India) and then fiddled some more. The results were although it was now well past closing time he had my credit put back onto my phone.

Now that was an epic act of kindness and well done to that young EE employee.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top