Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 06:32 AM

Femenism

Has the Feminist movement delivered what it hoped for. ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:59 AM

Re: Femenism

Not in my opinion, Nom. It has spoiled more than it has achieved.
I enjoy being a woman, I enjoy being seen as special because I am a woman. I celebrate the differences between men and women.

Feminism (horrible word!) has almost killed off the little courtesies that men used to show to women. Some men still do open doors, allow a woman to go first, give up seats on the 'bus etc., - but most do not - and who can blame them when they are treated with contempt if they do.

I can see there was a need to equalize things in the work place and, of course, people doing exactly the same job should receive the same pay. Of course women should have the same career opportunities as men. But, along with the PC brigade, they have taken it too far.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 08:39 AM

So agree with ST - jobwise equality is fine, but its gone way too far - don't like it at all, girls should be girls - not aspire to be manly
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:09 AM

It was supposed to open the doors and give women choices now the only choice seems to be work and leave your family for someone else to raise, or stay home with no partner and collect benefit. Stay at home mothers look down on working mothers and working mothers consider themselves better than stay at home mothers. A real old mess.
Even worse for the very young women and teens who are expected to man up and drink like the men.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Not knowing all of the objectives it would be hard to answer. I was at University through the 70s and lost count of the times I said to the more radical elements-Please do not discount me just because I am male,work with us not against us.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 01:25 PM

I suppose one would have to be a woman to give a true answer Nom, I wouldn’t know where to start to gauge it except to ask meself one question= Was my granny happier than my daughter is today?
You could say my daughter was the loser here because granny did not have to go out to work every weekday to keep a home and she was always happy and loved being a housewife. My daughter has a lovely home but she has more bills to pay now than granny had to pay then, plus she worries more than granny ever did. My daughter still has to do all the housework granny did (Granted with the help of various gadgets) when she has finished her days work so you could say she has double the work granny had, better off? I don’t think so.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
So agree with ST - jobwise equality is fine, but its gone way too far - don't like it at all, girls should be girls - not aspire to be manly
I don't think many girls do aspire to be manly.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It was supposed to open the doors and give women choices now the only choice seems to be work and leave your family for someone else to raise, or stay home with no partner and collect benefit. Stay at home mothers look down on working mothers and working mothers consider themselves better than stay at home mothers. A real old mess.
Even worse for the very young women and teens who are expected to man up and drink like the men.
Young women and teens expected to man up and drink like the men ?????? I don't think that.

Women have more choices and freedoms these days, but with those choices and freedoms comes responsibilities.
On balance I believe women are in a far better place today than they were in our grandparents day and even our parents day.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

07-08-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I suppose one would have to be a woman to give a true answer Nom, I wouldn’t know where to start to gauge it except to ask meself one question= Was my granny happier than my daughter is today?
You could say my daughter was the loser here because granny did not have to go out to work every weekday to keep a home and she was always happy and loved being a housewife. My daughter has a lovely home but she has more bills to pay now than granny had to pay then, plus she worries more than granny ever did. My daughter still has to do all the housework granny did (Granted with the help of various gadgets) when she has finished her days work so you could say she has double the work granny had, better off? I don’t think so.
It may be that your granny was happier in her day, especially if she had a fair and reasonable husband, but an awful lot of women were not. A woman's security and happiness, not so long ago, was very much dependent on her husband. If a woman had a bad husband there were not many places a woman could go to escape and not much sympathy for a woman's plight if in an unhappy marriage (for whatever reason).

No, even if women are working hard these days IMO they fare far better than women of our granny's era when they had very limited choice or real freedom - and that is what it is about choices and freedoms.
Today marriage is not the end goal whatever the cost. We have moved on from that and I for one am glad we have.

As a female it matters little to me if a male opens doors and doffs caps. That is simply superficial. I'll open a door for any man if he is struggling or behind me and I would hope that he would do the same for me. It's common courtesy.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not in my opinion, Nom. It has spoiled more than it has achieved.
I enjoy being a woman, I enjoy being seen as special because I am a woman. I celebrate the differences between men and women.

Feminism (horrible word!) has almost killed off the little courtesies that men used to show to women. Some men still do open doors, allow a woman to go first, give up seats on the 'bus etc., - but most do not - and who can blame them when they are treated with contempt if they do.

I can see there was a need to equalize things in the work place and, of course, people doing exactly the same job should receive the same pay. Of course women should have the same career opportunities as men. But, along with the PC brigade, they have taken it too far.
I agree with all these posts , I don"t want to be a feminist, I like being treated like a woman.

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top