Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:21 PM

your earliest memory's

I was about 3, dad had been away on airforce duty, I was excited he was coming home , I woke to see him sitting beside my bed and he had bought me a wicker chair.

I was around 4 ,looking out the window crying because I wanted to go to school. mum had lots of babies , none of us got a great deal of loving attention , on first day of school I was taken by mum's friend , I was upset she did not come with me.

at the age of 7 living in aden , I was in hospital with a bad leg and could not walk, parents had to leave me out there , they flew home 4000 miles to uk , I was left in the hospital , I was eventually casivaced home alone on an airplane with my leg in plaster , my parents not informed I was in the UK and did not see them for weeks. my feelings were a sense of not being wanted , a child's feelings of course , god knows what my parents went through . would not be allowed today.

my mum had a baby every 9 or 18 months , eventually having 7 of us , she had a very hard life . dad was tough on us kids and her .

can you recall your earliest memories .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:26 PM

Re: your earliest memory's

We moved house when I was 3 and my earliest memory took place before that. I walked from our house into our neighbour's house and I recall the lady of the house saying "what are you doing here ?"
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Back in the further corners of my mind, I am lying in my cot. A doctor and nurse are looking over me and the doctor is touching my chest.....

Jump forward 40 odd years and somehow mother tells me that I was born with a cyst in my chest, and it was removed when I was very young and this explained why I have a small scar near my left nipple.

There are varying opinions as to whether you can remember that far back, but some say that traumatic experiences always leave memories.

I can also recall my brother (8 years older) pushing me in my pram and mother telling him to be careful not to 'cowp' it and to pull the hood up because it was starting to rain. (cowp - Scottish for to upset or overturn)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:36 PM

I remember going to nursery and reading the Janet and John books
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:46 PM

How do we know if the memories we have are the result of something we experienced ourselves or an event relayed to us by someone.

I don't remember my mother, she died when I was 16 months old but I do remember sitting on someone's knee and looking into the mirror over the fireplace to see the reflection of my Dad in the doorway where he used to stand having just come in from work. Is this a real memory or something I was told.

I do remember my Dad coming to see me on Sundays with my sisters and brother when I was sent to live with relations after Mum died and the sadness I experienced watching them through the window as they walked down the path without me.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:48 PM

My earliest memory?-not quite old enough to understand hate-but something about that pile of crap stirred in a very young child
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 04:51 PM

I can never put ages to anything but I do remember being in the back garden with my brothers and waiting for my dad to come home from work riding his bike. I was about 3 or 4.

There was one time we went to an elderly relatives house and she always used to give me a biscuit out of a tin she kept in the dresser. There was only me and my dad used to go I later found out she was my dads first wife's sister who he kept in touch with.

There was another time we were all ready to go out for the day and we were told not to go into the garden and get mucky but my brother did and went on the swing where he fell off and knocked a tooth out. Oh the ructions.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 05:02 PM

I remember sitting on a settee surrounded by cushions & with toys in reach, watching 3 people playing cards, the card table was set against the settee I was sitting on & two of the people were my Mother & our next door neighbour, Gladys, who was my Godmother, there was a man, but I didn't who he was.
Later I told this to my Mother & she said, "How can you remember that, you were only about 8 months old?" She went on to say they were fire watching, it being during the war. The man was the next door neighbours husband, Jack, but he left his wife some years later.
My Father wouldn't have been there, he was on a ship with the convoys to Russia.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 05:04 PM

I remember having terrible 'growing pains' when I was very young, couldn't straighten my legs at times to walk. I recall my Dad carrying me, my knees virtually under my chin, for goodness knows how long.
Probably was around 4yrs old.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 09:34 AM

Apparently - when I was 22months old - mother took me into Dublin to be photographed. I do not remember anything about it except - I slipped on some cobbles, scuffed my white shoes and was smacked.

My first 'real' memory is bit of my 2nd birthday - woke up so see coloured lights around my window and my brother sitting on my bed with a present for me. He gave me one of those books with a cardboard doll on the cover and pages inside with clothes for the doll that had to be cut out and fixed on with little tabs.

I found out later that the lights were from the Christmas tree - I had been very ill with pneumonia and missed Christmas all together, so Dad put them around my window for my birthday in January.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top