Join for free
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:46 AM

I Guess Grandma is a Universal Language

Just something that dawned on me. My first grandbaby is due at the end of September. My daughter in law wants her mother to come and help those first months...from Thailand.

I've never met her parents. I do know her mother speaks no English and I speak no Thai. Then I thought about it and hey sometimes you don't need words exactly.

We'll be united in loving our kids and the new wee one. I also welcome her being in the delivery room. I did it myself five times but it involved a lot of drugs...

...don't know if I'd be the best labor coach. Mostly I hope they have a cot for the proud Daddy. My son used to go all queasy having a bandage changed.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Re: I Guess Grandma is a Universal Language

time for quick Thai lessons?? - happy grandmas in advance. {my sons wife is Thai]
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Congratulations to you and your family. An exciting time to be sure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 01:44 PM

Leslie I don't think the language matters really, there is an unspoken language of understanding between women when one of them is in labour .

I hope all goes well on the day grandchildren really are something special
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 01:55 PM

สวัสดี คะ ยินดีต้อนรับสู่ โลก

S̄wạs̄dī kha yindī t̂xnrạb s̄ū̀ lok

Oph, this is Thai for 'Hello, Darling. Welcome to the World.'
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Ophelia, you have wonderful times ahead, being a Grandma.
BEST JOB IN THE WORLD, I SAY.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2015, 03:01 PM

I think in these situations you can say a lot without words and anyway, you'll speak the same language - both oohing and aahing over the little one!

Enjoy - it's wonderful, I can thoroughly recommend it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top