Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Assisted Dying

A woman in the news this week has chosen assistant dying rather than suffer illness and ageing complaints ,and maybe lose her independance. Do you feel she is right , could/would you do it ? Im not sure Im brave enough , too scared of how I might feel dying
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Re: Assisted Dying

I think she was a very brave lady . My belief is that everyone should have the right to end their lives WHEN they choose. Its their life no one elses.
Beki
Edinburgh, Scotland
Beki is female  Beki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 09:09 PM

I think this is a very personal choice and would not condem anyone who makes that choice. However I do not believe that we have a right to take a life, even our own.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 09:17 PM

If it is what a person wants then I think it should be legal to help people die, it has to be very closely monitored though to make sure that is really what a person wants.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 09:18 PM

It's too frightening to think about
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 10:14 PM

Your right Aysa its nobody eles business if your in constant pain and decide to end your life then you should be allowed to. Why should you be made to suffer in agony if there's nothing that can be done to help you? I know what i will do if the time ever comes for me to decide.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 10:26 PM

I hope I would be brave enough to end my suffering should I be faced with that situation.

I think its a mockery to tell people that 'its their life' but then deny them the right to end that life.
I also think doctors in a way break the oath 'to do no harm' when they prolong life and therefore prolong suffering, instead of allowing extra pain medication which in some cases would shorten life but would make it a lot easier and pain free.

Of course if you have a religious belief that prevents you from ending life thats a personal choice but for those who dont then they should have the option of opting out when their suffering becomes unbearable.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Beki ->
I think this is a very personal choice and would not condem anyone who makes that choice. However, I do not believe that we have a right to take a life even our own.

Bollocks, bollocks, and BOLLOCKS AGAIN!

My life is mine, and mine alone. I have left clear and specific instructions along the lines of do not resuscitate, and, if possible and necessary, for euthanasia.

I would be extremely angry if some bleeding heart, do - gooder, religious shit - head condemned me to a miserable, painful, vegetative existence just because it does not agree with their views or beliefs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I hope I would be brave enough to end my suffering should I be faced with that situation.

I think its a mockery to tell people that 'its their life' but then deny them the right to end that life.
I also think doctors in a way break the oath 'to do no harm' when they prolong life and therefore prolong suffering, instead of allowing extra pain medication which in some cases would shorten life but would make it a lot easier and pain free.

Of course if you have a religious belief that prevents you from ending life thats a personal choice but for those who dont then they should have the option of opting out when their suffering becomes unbearable.

I agree with Cass. We are the ONLY one who knows exactly how we are feeling. They are OUR feeling, OUR pain, OUR body's and therefore it should be OUR decision.

Perhaps there are those who would rather put up with being fed through tubes, or tolerate daily pain, or perhaps the indignity of not even being able to wipe their own bum, than die. So be it, it is their choice.

On the other hand, if they are so demoralised, unhappy and sick with the knowledge that they can only deteriorate further, they should also be allowed a choice IMO.

I don't know if I would be brave enough to decide to end it all, I guess we wouldn't know that unless we were in that situation ourselves.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 11:35 PM

One of the more frightening examples I once read was about a gentleman who had a stroke of some sort and became " locked in". That is he could see and hear but not move or speak. He communicated to his wife that perhaps suicide would be a reasonable choice. She was of the mind "Oh no, of course not, now you have to still be alive for a reason and we can figure it out together". I would be begging somebody to over rule her and just smother me.

I watched my aunt die of stomach cancer. Assisted suicide wasn't an option at the time in the US. She was on straight morphine and still in agony at the end. I wouldn't want to see anyone go that way, you want to check out painlessly and with dignity when you feel it's your time. But it is certainly a personal choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top