Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Old fashioned values or sexism?

Just a question about good manners and old fashioned values,hopefully things will not get taken too seriously.

Times have, and are changing, but have attitudes to good manners and chivalry?

I was always taught,and still practice the same things, such as holding a door open for a Lady,pulling a chair out for them,standing when a Lady enters the room,helping a Lady on,or off with her coat,etc.

These things are ingrained,and just come naturally, but am I being old fashioned and outdated,or is it now sexist?

Do Women still like Men to be old fashioned and courteous?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ims-study.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Re: Old fashioned values or sexism?

Like you Gazz, i was brought up to these old fashioned courtesies, still do them and not just for women but giving up my seat on a bus to older passengers and holding open doors is second nature to me.

So far ive not met anyone who did not appreciate the gesture, cant answer for what the ladies think though.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:12 AM

I thought these values had gone - I cherish them, a sign of a good man
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I thought these values had gone - I cherish them, a sign of a good man

I agree with you Patsy. Nice manners or a smile, cost nothing is always appreciated (by me, anyway).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gaz55 ->
Just a question about good manners and old fashioned values,hopefully things will not get taken too seriously.

Times have, and are changing, but have attitudes to good manners and chivalry?

I was always taught,and still practice the same things, such as holding a door open for a Lady,pulling a chair out for them,standing when a Lady enters the room,helping a Lady on,or off with her coat,etc.

These things are ingrained,and just come naturally, but am I being old fashioned and outdated,or is it now sexist?

Do Women still like Men to be old fashioned and courteous?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ims-study.html
Don't ever change Gaz55 !

Courtesy and good manners should be welcomed and not regarded as either old fashioned or sexist.
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Nice to know I'm not that much of a dinosaur yet!

I have actually had some young "Ladies", call me a sexist ******, for holding a door open for them!

Different generations,different perspectives on things.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gaz55 ->
Nice to know I'm not that much of a dinosaur yet!

I have actually had some young "Ladies", call me a sexist ******, for holding a door open for them!

Different generations,different perspectives on things.

Sadly, I think you've hit the nail on the head Gaz. I suppose these nice things will eventually die out altogether, except perhaps among the aristocracy.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 10:52 AM

This is why I like the Steampunk community! Old fashioned courtesy and manners! Any bad behaviour is frowned upon generally.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]

Sadly, I think you've hit the nail on the head Gaz. I suppose these nice things will eventually die out altogether, except perhaps among the aristocracy.

Don't know about that
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-08-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
This is why I like the Steampunk community! Old fashioned courtesy and manners! Any bad behaviour is frowned upon generally.
Very nice too

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top