Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 01:12 AM

Crazy new idea

A General store-come off licence shop nearby, also houses the nearest sub-post office.

This afternoon when I was using the post office part, I enquired whether they closed at 5 or 5.30pm. The man behind the counter answered 10pm. I couldn't believe it and asked if he meant the grocery/off licence part, or the post office. To which he replied, all of it, including the post office!
I told him I thought that was crazy for a post office to have be open at that time of night. He just shrugged and replied, "I'm just waiting for the armed robberies to start when the dark nights come." He was serious, and I bet he's right, too.
This shop had thugs rob it only a few months ago, before the new post office rules started, so what chance do they stand this winter with a late night off licence and post office open in the same shop. Has anyone thought this through - other than the poor bloke behind the counter?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 06:18 AM

Re: Crazy new idea

I hadn't heard this Mups - does he 'have' to stay open
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 08:37 AM

Hmmm...recipe for disaster, by the sounds of it. I think post office staff get a raw deal. Heard so many bad stories of the way the head office treats many of them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:42 AM

It seems to me the PO is casting around grasping at straws trying to regain market share. How they get it does not take into account either their customers or employees welfare.

They did not move with the times and tech has left them loosing business, also i feel bad management has more than played its part.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I hadn't heard this Mups - does he 'have' to stay open

He seemed to think so Patsy. They are moving the main post office in town to a chemist shop, as well. But that one will close at 5.30 when the chemist shuts.

They often used to have post offices in village shops didn't they, but to put one in a late night off licence and say they've got to remain open while the shop is open, is madness. I bet the usual 2 ladies who run it won't do the night duty though.
I wonder who makes the money in all this? Does the shop rent out floor space the the P.O? In this case, I believe this shop is owned by someone in London, about 80 miles away, so what do they care, they won't be working.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-08-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
It seems to me the PO is casting around grasping at straws trying to regain market share. How they get it does not take into account either their customers or employees welfare.

They did not move with the times and tech has left them loosing business, also i feel bad management has more than played its part.

Yes, I agree Nom.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:54 AM

I thought the post office counter was limited to the time/number of hours they could open.

Having queued up in the rain to get into the post office while staff sat waiting at the counter for the clock to tick around to 9am I asked why they couldn't just open when all the staff were ready and was told thy weren't allowed to open before 9am .

Apparently things have changed and some PO can now open for longer..
PO Local branches are designed to offer longer
opening hours: initial findings from POL suggest
that, on average, each pilot location provides
post office services for an extra six hours each
day compared to a standard sub post office11.
Many PO Locals open evenings and weekends.
Unsurprisingly, the majority of consumers are
strongly in favour of extended opening hours:
75 per cent of PO Local users say that longer
opening hours will be useful for them.
http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/file...ut_limited.pdf
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-08-2015, 10:03 AM

So it is true what he was telling me then. He didn't look a happy bunny at all Meg. There is also a rather loud pub next door to him as well, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has problems this winter.
I wouldn't want the job for all the tea in China.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 04:01 PM

I thought this too Meg,that POs were regulated by what hours they opened. Ours is in a shop and I see that they are advetising for someone to run the shop part, this could be difficult if the shop traders want to keep the shop open after the PO closed
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So it is true what he was telling me then. He didn't look a happy bunny at all Meg. There is also a rather loud pub next door to him as well, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has problems this winter.
I wouldn't want the job for all the tea in China.
Me neither, sounds a tad risky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top