Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 09:46 PM

Grrr - dogs!

Well I've nothing against them really but I was a bit mad at one today.

We took the grandchildren for a picnic in the park.
I spread a sheet out on the floor and sat Josh on it with his sandwiches. Poor Josh didn't get to eat any lunch - a small terrier type dog rushed up to us and stuck it's nose in Josh's sandwich - then it ran off with a piece of ham. It even came back and pinched some cake.

I couldn't of course let Josh eat any of his food after all this so we let the dog eat it all.

The owner just stood there a few yards away saying 'Come away' to the dog who totally ignored him.... Honestly!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Re: Grrr - dogs!

Well that's not good dog ownership at all
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 10:19 PM

Grrrr Humans.

As is most often the case your anger is misdirected..The dog was just doing what come naturally ie; foraging for food. The one at fault is his human they are the ones charged with making sure the dog conforms to societies rules.

Once again the dog gets the blame for the human's failing.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 11:17 PM

Yes of course I know it's the owners fault Cass. He just stood there - I suppose I could have given him a piece of my mind but it wasn't worth it...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Yes of course I know it's the owners fault Cass. He just stood there - I suppose I could have given him a piece of my mind but it wasn't worth it...

I flippin' would have, Carol! And you say you let the dog have the rest of the food after that - well if that aint rewarding bad behaviour, I don't know what is.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2015, 07:34 AM

Well as Carol pointed out, if the food wasn't fit for human consumption after a dog sticking its snout in, it was either that or wrap up to throw away afterwards.

When out walking with my neighbour yesterday she was saying how she is scared of dogs but can be over protective of her children when coming against them. When leaving a shop once there were two big ones outside, not tied up and she said to her two children, 'come away from the dogs, be careful' and their handler shouted at her 'that's right, teach them to be scared of dogs', rather than being nice about it.

Yes, it's always the humans and their responses to other humans.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Well I've nothing against them really but I was a bit mad at one today.

We took the grandchildren for a picnic in the park.
I spread a sheet out on the floor and sat Josh on it with his sandwiches. Poor Josh didn't get to eat any lunch - a small terrier type dog rushed up to us and stuck it's nose in Josh's sandwich - then it ran off with a piece of ham. It even came back and pinched some cake.

I couldn't of course let Josh eat any of his food after all this so we let the dog eat it all.

The owner just stood there a few yards away saying 'Come away' to the dog who totally ignored him.... Honestly!!
Wheres a seagull when you want one
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Wheres a seagull when you want one
Or a Revolver......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2015, 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jazzi;684152]Well as Carol pointed out, if the food wasn't fit for human consumption after a dog sticking its snout in, it was either that or wrap up to throw away afterwards.

Well sorry Jazzi, but to me, that is the same as someone stealing from a shop, my dinner table, or anywhere else, and I certainly wouldn't be thinking "oh, he's started, so let him have him."
How does he know his behaviour is wrong?
He will try his luck on the next picnic people now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2015, 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;684203]
Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Well as Carol pointed out, if the food wasn't fit for human consumption after a dog sticking its snout in, it was either that or wrap up to throw away afterwards.

Well sorry Jazzi, but to me, that is the same as someone stealing from a shop, my dinner table, or anywhere else, and I certainly wouldn't be thinking "oh, he's started, so let him have him."
How does he know his behaviour is wrong?
He will try his luck on the next picnic people now.
I do agree but I think it's a bit much to expect the person being mugged for their food to stop the dog, if you don't know a dog it can be dangerous to try I would suggest so it may have been the only sensible thing to do. It's not Carol's place to discipline the dog, the owner should have been doing that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top