Join for free
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Help for older People

I just saw on the news that the council in North Yorkshire are putting together aids to help older people stay in their own homes rather than going into homes.

They had the gizzmo around the neck thing which if a person falls can conect that person to someone who can help by getting a neighbour who is a key holder.

They had a gizzmo that goes off to remind you to take medication but the best gizzmo was a sensor which put a light on when you got up from the bed and stayed on until you were back in bed. I think that is a good idea.

Recently we bought my mother in law a touch lamp so that she doesn't have to fiddle around trying to find a switch during the night visits to the loo. We also installed a hob that turns itself off when it senses that there is nothing on it, she also has a deep fat fryer which also turns itself off after a certain period even her iron turns itself off if it hasn't been in standing up for a certain amount of time.

It occurred to me that if councils spent a bit of money on our elderly people then they would not have to leave their homes and it would save them and the elderly person a lot of money. Mother in law in 82 and very safe.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Re: Help for older People

Some good ideas there CC - and I think most people would prefer to stay in their own homes too, if they could.

I think bungalows are good too - as you often worry about older people going up and down stairs.. wasn't there stats somewhere that showed that's how most older people get broken bones and what not?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Being in a commune home can be good for some, . . my MIL is 99 and she lived alone for years, . . we got her a place in an old folks centre, she has her own apartment but it's a community of oldies where they play dominoes and chat in the common room, . . she loves it.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2010, 04:29 PM

I think you are quite right Azz we moved MIL to a bungalow in Cumbria from Manchester where she had a three bedroomed two storey house. The difference was amazing as she said sometimes she slept in the living room as she couldn't get up stairs or she would really want a cup of tea but couldn't face all the stairs. We have to be very strict with mother or else she would go up step ladders to do all sorts of jobs.

I think you are right too nero. MIL is very fortunate to have some really good neighbours she hasn't been there long but they really look after her doing shopping and posting letter etc. She has never been a social animal and I don't think she would like a community and yet as you say it is great for some.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top