Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 12:42 PM

Square Peg in a Round Hole.

My lack of mobility meant im not getting far these days. So midweek had a visit to my city's Art Gallery for a bit of culture.

Must have inspired me because i decided to try again at a local art club i joined a few years back. Its been at least 3 years since i last went, and again i feel like the proverbial Square Peg in a Round Hole.

Seeing all these talented people creating wonderful pieces of art just leaves me out of my depth. Dont get me wrong they are exceptionally friendly and welcoming but i cant get over a feeling of inadequacy.

I have been a member of many clubs over the years but never felt this way as we all have to start somewhere, im my own worst critic so perhaps thats what is driving this.

So am i alone in feeling this way, and if anyone has experienced it how did you overcome it. ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Re: Square Peg in a Round Hole.

I've experienced that feeling a few times - but I do shrug it off
You love to paint and do your sketches, that's all that should matter
You are not in a contest - that's why I shrug that feeling away - just enjoy what you do, let no one spoil that feeling, especially yourself
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 01:36 PM

You picked a tricky one Nom ! Art is quite a diverse pastime. It also has differening groups of people, some genuinely open and friendly, others slightly snobbish who might look down on those not versed in at least the basics of art education. Art however is entirely personal and is all about what you are happy with and what you want to achieve. A class environment however might not always be the best way to learn though because of the things you have already mentioned. See if you can "latch onto" a reasonably competent painter and suggest you spend a day out together, go somewhere nice and set up you easles and learn from him/her. Also there are some good books out there which will help you learn the basics
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 01:41 PM

Nom is well past the basics - a very good artist is he
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 01:44 PM

Go all arty Nom. Art is subjective so find a style that know one else in the class is using. Slap and daub some paint on a canvas. Give it the old waffle about it being 'the light and dark of your innermost emotions' and look thoughtful.

Trust me rather than look stupid they will love it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

Seeing all these talented people creating wonderful pieces of art just leaves me out of my depth. Dont get me wrong they are exceptionally friendly and welcoming but i cant get over a feeling of inadequacy.

I have been a member of many clubs over the years but never felt this way as we all have to start somewhere, im my own worst critic so perhaps thats what is driving this.

So am i alone in feeling this way, and if anyone has experienced it how did you overcome it. ?
Nom there is no such thing as 'right or wrong' in art and who is talented or not is a subjective thing and we must each make our own minds up on that .
So just stop devaluing your abilities and enjoy making you own unique contribution to the class

I used to go to pottery classes, I really enjoyed it and cared not a fig how wonderful or not my pieces were. I didn't attend because I thought I had any talent at all but for my own amusement (and I kept the village fete supplied with little animals and wall plaques for quite some time ).
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Nom I think anyone who draws/paints has the same feelings of inadequacy before even submitting to paper/canvas. We convince ourselves 'we're not good enough', which actually inhibits us, instead we should plough on confidently.

Surely in every 'class' of whatever subject there are those with less or more ability than others, either naturally or learned. Yes I've been in a class with more experienced/talented people but there is always something you can learn from them!

If like me you lose all sense of anything else around you when you are drawing/painting, don't let that pleasure go, because although the end product is important, it's also the journey to get to that stage that is important too.
Enjoy your art, that is all that matters.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 02:48 PM

As Salvador Dali the Spanish surrealist painter once said "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it"
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
As Salvador Dali the Spanish surrealist painter once said "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it"
good advice for realist I believe??
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 05:12 PM

I agree with Meg and Linden Tree.

It's a bit like "imposter syndrome" which is well known in some professions. I've certainly experienced that more than once. I think the only way I got over it (even if only transiently at times) was to focus on the job to the exclusion of all else for a while. Mentally taking myself out of the surroundings, or blocking them, seemed to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top