Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 10:46 AM

Royal National Lifeboat Institute

Whilst in Ventnor IOW. the RNLI was having a fund raising day, we have always supported them when near their shops etc. I was wondering how many folks have realised that when flying this organisation is extremely important to aircraft as it is to shipping, every time you fly over the sea there is always the chance that volunteers have to come to your rescue.

So please support them as much as you can, their running costs are phenomenal and they get absolutely no help from the government, which I think is ludicrous, maybe that is the way they want it, but to me it should go without saying that this organisation should at least get a day a year to call RNLI day so the public get aware more about it.

See Here
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 11:19 AM

Re: Royal National Lifeboat Institute

Hi Wrinkly, each and every charity needs help and it's not possible to give to all of them. I already give some £300/annum to Oxfam and £100/annum to our local Air Ambulance and I thinks that's enough.................sorry.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Whilst in Ventnor IOW. the RNLI was having a fund raising day, we have always supported them when near their shops etc. I was wondering how many folks have realised that when flying this organisation is extremely important to aircraft as it is to shipping, every time you fly over the sea there is always the chance that volunteers have to come to your rescue.

So please support them as much as you can, their running costs are phenomenal and they get absolutely no help from the government, which I think is ludicrous, maybe that is the way they want it, but to me it should go without saying that this organisation should at least get a day a year to call RNLI day so the public get aware more about it.

See Here
Good to hear that they do so much. I'd not realised the full extent of their worth.
Some years ago, my late uncle (died recently) and his wife decided not to leave anything to family or friends but to leave it all to the RNLI ... no idea why they chose this particular organisation as they have never been associated with it and I thought it rather strange that nothing would pass down to loved ones.
Hope it doesn't get swallowed up in admin
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 11:23 AM

The RNLI do a fantastic job Wrinkly and they are one of the charities I do support...
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 11:24 AM

It's an organisation I have always supported Wrinkly. Maybe it's my fear of being alone in the sea that has something to do with it, but I always contribute.

They do a wonderful job, often at considerable risk to their own safety, and I can't for the life of me understand why they are not supported as an essential service by the Govt!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Being a non swimmer I always support them, they do such a dangerous and needed job and all volunteer too, I would give to them before most charities including OXFAM who seem rather too money grabbing for my liking.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 12:51 PM

I have always supported the RNLI as my paternal great grandfather (2nd oarsman from left) was a crewman when lifeboats looked like this:-

Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 01:07 PM

I was at sea for 7 trips whilst on holiday and it really got me thinking, 2 of those trips was by hovercraft.
Incidentally the hovercraft has been flying for 50 yrs. and has carried 29 million people, a wonderful way to travel. ST heroes like your grandfather were underrated. taking to rough seas in a row boat takes some real guts, men of steel, sadly many lifeboat crews lost their own lives whist trying to save others.
I am not begging on the RNLI's behalf, just highlighting that when we take to the air just like the sea, we should consider this noble bunch of brave men/women who are on standby at all times incase we get into difficulties.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 02:20 PM

Give to loads of charities in fact only today someone was collecting and I added to that collection.
I always frequent the RNLI shops and have left a sum of money in my will as has my hubby.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2015, 02:55 PM

I alway's buy something from the RNLI when on holiday and also from the charity booklet my Brother receives, he's a Governor for the RNLI and does good work for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top